UPDATE - Renovation of downstairs cloakroom toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Absolute novice at DIY so this is probably a simple question.

Could you tell me if this sounds like a realistic plan?

1) plumber removes toilet, sink and radiator. He also seals water pipe so I can turn water back on

2) he goes and I paint for a few days

3) carpet right or whoever come and lay floor

4) plumber comes back and fits brand new toilet sink and radiator

Is that doable or have I got the wrong idea? Plumber is coming Monday to quote

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a plan to me. Don't forget to keep your plumber happy with copious amounts of strong tea. And biccies. ;)

I'm good with tea and coffee making for tradesmen so will do that easily. Hoping to get a quote for around £200-250 for the plumbers work (not including parts which I will buy) - think that's reasonable?

If I disconnected the sink taps, do I buy something to stop all the water coming out I turn it back on? If so, does it have a special name?

Same for radiator - thinking about trying this myself.

If I disconnected the sink taps, do I buy something to stop all the water coming out I turn it back on? If so, does it have a special name?

Not a special name just a plumber :)

Sponsored Links

I'm good with tea and coffee making for tradesmen so will do that easily. Hoping to get a quote for around £200-250 for the plumbers work (not including parts which I will buy) - think that's reasonable?

Same for radiator - thinking about trying this myself.

If you're not sure about capping, I would leave to plumber. Not worth risk of a flood, compared to the few quid it will save.

I will take your advice!

What do you think is a rough price - about £250 to remove items, and cap them... Then come back a couple of weeks later to refit new stuff?

Unless using wall hung toilet and sink then flooring wants laying afterwards! Carpet fitter will cut around base of pan/basin pedestal (and any other obstructions), the plumber wont!

Indeed, get the carpet fitted after all other works are complete.

Unless using wall hung toilet and sink then flooring wants laying afterwards! Carpet fitter will cut around base of pan/basin pedestal (and any other obstructions), the plumber wont!

Really? All the sites say the toilet sits on top of the newly laid floor...

It's just a standard toilet - with a bit that sits on ground.

Sanitary ware down first - flooring after. Vinyl can be easily damaged during plumbing works.

That'll look sh**. The trick is for them not to damage the floor while fitting the sanitary ware. Then again on that budget, for 3 visits, you're probably right.

UPDATE

Plumber came out this evening. Said that he could remove sink and radiator no issue, and also block off the pipes so that I could spend a few weeks painting.

Bit more complicated with toilet. It's a really old one with a big cast iron pipe coming out the back which is cemented on and goes into a cupboard thing.

He said it would be tricky but doable. However, he would also have to build a kind of box thing on the wall, to house the toilet cistern as the cast iron pipe sits fairly far away from the wall.

Quoted:

£100 to remove radiator, sink and toilet + seal off the pipes
£180 to fit all the new stuff

Which I think it fairly reasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back