Upgrade old LNB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so basically I decided to make use of our old satellite dish which hasn’t been used for years and get Freesat going, the LNB is a Skyware universal quad SX719QS/S.
From what I have read these LNBs aren't that good and people report issues with the slightest bit of rain etc and obviously it’s old as hell.
So I wired up 4 brand new cables and connected them to a Netstream 4sat network tuner, it works really well but yes I do notice that bad weather definitely has an impact on it and also CNN just keeps going in and out, for example it was fine the other day, no signal the next day and then randomly changing signal the next but all the normal BBC etc no issue at all until bad weather.
So question, what is a good quad LNB for me and also I think the fitting may be mk3 so am I meant to get an adapter?
I can attach more photos of the actual dish, joint etc if needed.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• E93790FC-B770-494E-9939-1CC0B9A55C89.jpeg
    E93790FC-B770-494E-9939-1CC0B9A55C89.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
I’ve got older LNBs than that working. Much more likely your problem is dish (mis)alignment. No point in spending money on a new LNB if it makes no difference.

So should I get a satellite guy to align it and check the LNB, what sort of price should I expect to pay for this?

So should I get a satellite guy to align it and check the LNB, what sort of price should I expect to pay for this?

You can do that yourself. Find the signal strength meter, in the sat system setup. It will probably need two people, one at the dish, one watching the TV and reporting the signal strength and easiest done on a clear sky day so the meter is steady, it might need a pair of phones etc..

Slacken the horizontal bolts, tweak it left right for highest signal; slacken the vertical fixings and do the same, then undo the clamp holding the LNB so you can rotate it clockwise / anti-clockwise for best signal. Finally run through each setting again for a final check, then tighten everything back up.

It's very easy, I run through the same procedure every time I set up on a site, with my caravan, but from scratch. I can usually have it done in five minutes.

Sponsored Links
You can do that yourself. Find the signal strength meter, in the sat system setup. It will probably need two people, one at the dish, one watching the TV and reporting the signal strength and easiest done on a clear sky day so the meter is steady, it might need a pair of phones etc..

Slacken the horizontal bolts, tweak it left right for highest signal; slacken the vertical fixings and do the same, then undo the clamp holding the LNB so you can rotate it clockwise / anti-clockwise for best signal. Finally run through each setting again for a final check, then tighten everything back up.

It's very easy, I run through the same procedure every time I set up on a site, with my caravan, but from scratch. I can usually have it done in five minutes.

Ok great thanks for that, I actually work in IT but I have no idea when it comes to satellites so this helps a lot, I’ll give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back