upgrade problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oldish Samsung laptop (V7000) and am trying to upgrade from the original Windows ME which was installed on purchase. I have tried upgrade to Windows 2000 prof and Windows XP prof. I have also tried clean install of both systems after reformat. The same problem occurs in all cases, that is, the install runs OK until it reaches the point where it is "loading devices". It gets about half way through this and the screen goes black - end of story!!!!. Any help would be much appreciated. (I have installed extra memory and this does not help)

Sponsored Links
Hm.

Many laptops have idiosyncratic on-board devices that require the right drivers in order to work. For example, if the display driver didn't work on your machine, then you wouldn't be able to see what was going on.

Does all disk activity cease when the screen goes black?

Thanks for the info. Disc activity, both HDD and CD continue for a time after screen blanking, then stop. I have drivers for windows 2000 for this machine but windows does not regcognise them as upgrade packs. Can I upgrade drivers from win98 to win 2000 before upgrade?

I know this might sound bizzare, but connect in an external monitor when performing the install - it could be that the drivers install and incorrectly set the refresh to something other that thr 60Hz default. It could be stopping at a user-input screen when the CD/HD stops.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for latest info. Connected to my LCD tv via PC input, ran install, worked fine and completed. Strange thing both monitors worked. When I removed the external monitor the laptop screen went black on boot, reconnected external monitor and checked settings, found 2000 install changed monitor settings to external only. Corrected this and all running OK. Once again, many thanks for all help.

Back