Upgrade shower - cable size

Alison, remembering your other posts, doesn't your mother live in a council / HA flat? Are you allowed to do this sort of work in the property?

Sponsored Links
Who is installing the circuit? If you are hiring an electrician he will be better positioned than us to confirm what you have and can have.

The circuit is already in place as she has an 8.5kW shower installed - she wanted a new one and more powerful if possible and if it was going to be a straight swap, then I can do that. If the cable is suitable, then I won't obviously.

If it is 6mm cable, what's the highest power shower that can be installed?

Alison, remembering your other posts, doesn't your mother live in a council / HA flat? Are you allowed to do this sort of work in the property?

Yeah, when the council renovated the houses, they installed showers for everyone that didn't already have them - mother had had hers for ages so didn't get a new one. She had got permission for it at the time it was installed.

Sponsored Links
And i am sure you have been well advised to check that you're existing supply to the property will be capable of taking the additional load.

Kind Regards,

DS

BAS, i have no idea why?
Are you sure that it is a good idea to say things when you have no idea?

Because I don't - I think it's a b****y stupid idea.

As i was referring to Flameport's post:LOL:
I know you were, as unlike you I am able to pay attention.

And in my reply to you I did not give any indication that I thought you were doing anything other than referring to Flameport. So why you thought that pointing out that you were doing something which I had not said or implied you weren't was funny, IHNI. Your limited intellect, maybe?

You really must learn to pay attention.

But back to the plot. I'll re-do the quote, so that it is simple enough for you to understand what I'm doing.

Ive no problem about replacing the MCB for a 50amp but it's the cable that I'm concerned about.
The cable is 6mm. There are no sizes between 6 and 10mm, so if it is smaller than the 10mm piece, it is 6.

You can't use a 50A MCB, as that is greater than the cable rating, which is 47A assuming it is not contained in insulation or conduit.
A 45A MCB could be used, if one can be obtained for your consumer unit.
A 10.5kW 240V shower is 43.75A.

Listen to this man (y)

DS

Flameport is wrong - of course for this type of circuit you can have a 50A breaker on a cable with an Iz of 47A.

And that is why I asked you why your advice was to listen to him, and why I said that listening to EFLI was a better idea.

No, i would not install a 50a breaker on a 6mm cable. Minimum cable size i install for showers is 10mm.

Kindest regards,

DS:cool:

a 40A type B MCB will allow 45A through it for around 16 minutes before it will trip, so that will probably be OK
No, it won't.

IbInIz

[EDIT]Formatting changed to focus on the relevant part of the rule[/EDIT]
Indeed. It's also untrue that it would operate at 45A in 16 minutes, as it mustn't operate at a current of less than 1.13 times its rating (which is 45.2A), but must operate within an hour at 1.45 times its rating.

No, i would not install a 50a breaker on a 6mm cable. Minimum cable size i install for showers is 10mm.

Kindest regards,

DS:cool:
Not sure how many times I have said this:

A FIXED LOAD CANNOT OVERLOAD.

You only need to provide FAULT PROTECTION. So if a 6mm^2 cable can thermally withstand the fault current until disconnection occurs, then a 50A protective device will adequately protect the cable. Simples.

We all know the answer to that.

Except, perhaps, DS, but then he'll probably be wrong anyway.

Well, I'm sorry for causing a row :confused:

I think we'll just play safe and replace it with a new 8.5kW shower. I can't see any way round replacing the cable as it runs under the floor and we've no access under the floor - floorboards, plywood and then laminate.

The only other thing is if a 9.5kW would run safely off 6mm and a 40amp breaker - but I'm scared to ask lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back