Upgrading home intruder/security system (method & who to get)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old system in place (Scantronic 9448+). It's a wired system. I don't know exactly how old in it but the battery has a 1999 written on it :)

In short we'd like to upgrade it.
Photo 09-09-2015 12 47 54 pm.jpg Photo 09-09-2015 12 46 58 pm.jpg

1. What would an upgrade entail?
I would imagine a bit more than taking the box off & putting a new one on?

2. This one is going to be a bit of a dummy question - but who do you get out to do the job?

I've searched & searched. One company just seems to refuse to return calls & emails, so we've forgotten them.

Aside from that, my searches are turning up security - men - bouncers, which i think is a little overkill & slightly costly :-/

It also brings up security for businesses, but not residential.

So i'm clearly using incorrect search terms but i've used a few & can't find anything suitable in the area. There has to be some though with so many houses having alarms (here).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
When I replaced my old Galaxy system for a more modern Galaxy system it was pretty much a case of taking the old box off and fitting a new one. I've no knowledge of Scantronic systems but there's a fair chance you could do the same.

Thanks.

And if a mod sees this can they move it to the appropriate forum. Don't know why i didn't put it in the Alarms section. Divvy.

<Moderator's note>
You can use the "report" option to request it.

Sponsored Links
If you already have the wiring in, that's 9/10 of the work of installing a wired system. A wired system is vastly superior to wireless units which need regular battery changes. Just get a modern control unit and sounder box, the wiring hasn't changed significantly apart from some units being resistance-sensing and hence requiring a resistor at each sensor. Unless a cowboy made a hash of the previous wiring, of course, but it should be easy enough to see if it's a competent job. Is there a cable for each sensor for example, or have they been daisy-chained, making it hard to find faults? As for who, depends very much where you are.

What Anteaus said is good, but unless you need lots of extra features or the panel you have is faulty, then why not keep the panel and upgrade everything else. Scantronic is on the whole a good reliable make.

I have no idea how the sensors have been put in to be honest with you.

When you say upgrade "everything else" - do you mean the window sensors & PIR sensors?

The alarm system right now isn't active. We had to deactivate it for some work being done & we can't remember how we did it & how to put it back together again. I know we ended up sounding the alarm off a few times.

I get the impression you need someone to come out and see you, if your in Cheshire I could help. But otherwise GOTO www.yell.com type in burglar alarms and your area and you should get a nice list come up. If possible find a smaller local company with good reviews.

Hope this helps.

To be fair the battery should be long since dead, remove the battery, check the fuses and power it up, do you have the codes for the panel?

As long as the wires are good, upgrading could be relatively simple as replace panel, keypad and battery and do some programing.

Take a picture of the wiring and label the cables if you can before dismantling, will help when putting into new panel.

Understanding the programing options is probably the most difficult part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back