Upgrading thermostats and controlling individual room temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, now that I've solved the boiler pressure problem from the other thread on my own, all while you lot were probably still in your pits (I'm feeling pretty cocky and proud of myself!), I'll turn my attention back to what I was looking at my boiler for.

I have underfloor heating on the ground floor or my house that is controlled by multiple thermostats. I'm happy keeping this the way that it is.

I have radiators in three rooms and the hallway (total of four) on the 1st floor and two rooms and the landing (total of three) on the 2nd floor. There is a single thermostat on each floor in one of the bedrooms. I'm assuming that the thermostat is there to control the temperature of the whole floor but I doubt it would do a great job so my preference would be to control the temperate of individual rooms if possible. Particularly my office that I work from home from every day that is on the 2nd floor.

Is my best bet the radiator thermostats that you put on each radiator? If so then must I get one for each radiator or can I just do it for the rooms that I want control individually? And then how would I actually configure it to get that control.

At the moment I have a box in the cupboard that allows me to control a) the radiators on the 1st floor, b) the radiators on the 2nd floor and c) the hot water tank in the 1st floor bathroom. I would have thought that if you want the thermostats on both floors to control the temperature then I would need to set the box to always have the 1st and 2nd floor radiators on and then the thermostat controls it instead? That's not how the previous owners had it set. They had it off but on timers for the morning and evening. In which case the thermostat would still control things but only between those hours that that box timer had it set to be on right?

So if I want to control individual rooms then I'm assuming that I could a) still use the thermostat to control the room that it's in on both floors but then attach smart radiator thermostats on the radiator in the other rooms that I want to control individually? And then I would need to set the control box to always have the 1st and 2nd floor radiators on?

Sponsored Links
I've just realised an issue with my logic. If I still rely on the existing thermostats on each floor then the smart individual radiator thermostats will be a slave to the main thermostats. So it will still end up switching on the heating for the other rooms. So how would I be able to only switch on the heating for one room? Get individual smart radiator thermostats for every room?

Manual TRV’s will not work in your situation. I don’t understand the logic of having room thermostats in every bedroom as when any thermostat calls for heat all bedrooms will be heated at once. I think you need smart controls, something like Drayton Wiser will allow smart TRV’s on every radiator to call for heat as required for each individual location.

Manual TRV’s will not work in your situation. I don’t understand the logic of having room thermostats in every bedroom as when any thermostat calls for heat all bedrooms will be heated at once. I think you need smart controls, something like Drayton Wiser will allow smart TRV’s on every radiator to call for heat as required for each individual location.
Hi, sorry, that's what I was referring to when I was calling them "smart individual radiator thermostats". I probably had the naming wrong. I've ordered one just for my office and I'll see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Just another question. Will it cause issues if I have my heating switched on all day each weekday on the second floor but then have the radiator valves shut most of the time. Then I'll use the single smart TRV on one radiator to open the valve on demand when I'm cold. Or does having the heating on with all the valves closed cause issues? Or is that effectively what a thermostat does if you have one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back