Upgrading to Vista from XP

The only reason you would want to stick with XP is if yo are a business user with a significant investment in software such as Sage etc. Upgrading to Vista will be expensive because the user would require new versions of their software.

Vista has been completely rewritten. The coding makes better use of things like the GPU so that the CPU doesn't handle ANY of the on screen stuff (it does in XP which slows down your system.) The search facility is instant, it updates your options as you type, no more waiting for XP to find the file you want. Vista is the only OS that can use DirectX 10 and if you are a serious gamer you NEED Vista. The stuff Vista can do with Directx10 is awesome!! If you haven't seen it you couldn't posibly imagine what it does. The interface is very pretty as well. The security features in Vista are better than XP and with defender you don't need third party spyware etc - you do still need AV software though. The Media Centre section works unlike MCE 2005, as it absolutely seemless with an Xbox used as a media extender. Driver availability isn't much of an isse now, I haven't got any existing hardware that isn't compatible.

I sell computers, only about 3% of the kit I supply now has anything other than a version of Vista.

The bad press Vista gets is undeserved. The people who run it down don't use it, or had a beta version (which didn't work properly), or take what someone else has said and add to it.... everyone hated XP when it was launched (I bet you've forgotten that!), they wanted to stick with ME or even 98 but now people say XP rules, they are just used to it, it works well, it is still fit for purpose. If you buy/build a new PC though why wouldn't you have Vista? If you are building one you can get an OEM version for about £65 (for a full vesion) and that makes it VERY good value.

And, why would you take advice from an 11 year old (who is buying knockoff software) about your PC?? That says alot too!!

Get your heads out of the sand and upgrade - just use the full vesion!!!

And Vista really is vry good you know!!

Sponsored Links
The only reason you would want to stick with XP is if yo are a business user with a significant investment in software such as Sage etc. Upgrading to Vista will be expensive because the user would require new versions of their software.
That is indeed one reason, but it's far from being the only reason.

Vista has been completely rewritten.
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

The coding makes better use of things like the GPU so that the CPU doesn't handle ANY of the on screen stuff (it does in XP which slows down your system.)
No sh*t. Which all goes to make it even less forgiveable that Vista is so slow.

The search facility is instant, it updates your options as you type, no more waiting for XP to find the file you want. Vista is the only OS that can use DirectX 10 and if you are a serious gamer you NEED Vista.
Just like Amy Winehouse "needs" crack.

The stuff Vista can do with Directx10 is awesome!! If you haven't seen it you couldn't posibly imagine what it does.
Well, I imagined it before Vista reached its release build, and it fell short.

The interface is very pretty as well.
Well whoop-de-doo.

The security features in Vista are better than XP and with defender you don't need third party spyware etc
Defender was available with XP, and doesn't deal with ALL spyware. :rolleyes:

The Media Centre section works unlike MCE 2005, as it absolutely seemless with an Xbox used as a media extender.
Yes, and games are sooo important. :rolleyes:

Driver availability isn't much of an isse now, I haven't got any existing hardware that isn't compatible.
:shrug:

I sell computers, only about 3% of the kit I supply now has anything other than a version of Vista.
Well, I repair them, and configure them, and Vista is a pain in the neck.

The bad press Vista gets is undeserved.
You're right - it deserves so much more bad press than it gets.

The people who run it down don't use it, or had a beta version (which didn't work properly), or take what someone else has said and add to it....
Yes, I can see why you'd like that to be true. But it isn't.

everyone hated XP when it was launched (I bet you've forgotten that!)
In that case you're not a very astute gambler.

they wanted to stick with ME or even 98 but now people say XP rules, they are just used to it
No - they are used to XP+SP2, which is a fine thing, not XP in its original buggy form.

If you buy/build a new PC though why wouldn't you have Vista?
Because XP is quicker, easier to use, more mature, more stable, and doesn't arrive defaulted with the most irritating set of in-yer-face neo-security measures whose sole purpose is the long-term support of putting money in the pockets of media-publishing conglomerates.

If you are building one you can get an OEM version for about £65 (for a full vesion) and that makes it VERY good value.
Like a 1970s Lada was good value? Don't make me laugh.

And Vista really is vry good you know!!
It isn't you know.

My mates got a decent XP gaming rig, he can play Crysis on all the top settings with his system. There's a few tweaks you can do that give you all the DX10 effects in DX9 and it looks amazing! To run Crysis in Vista actually needs more powerful hardware than if you are using XP due to all the system resources that Vista likes to hog.

At the end of the day it's an OS, a platform for all the programs, games and apps that I like to use. I don't want to spend all day searching my hard drive or staring at the desktop just cos it's pretty.

I am 100% in agreement with softus. I have reinstalled XP on 6 machines for customers so far, including two brand new machines. 2007 was the year that Microsoft commited suicide. Business users won't touch Vista or the new Office suite. Backward compatibility is an issue there. I see a lot of interest in Linux systems for business use. Ask yourself why Dell now offer a Linux alternative to Vista and why they still offer XP. Ask yourself also why Michael Dell personally uses a Linux operating system.
The two new machines ran Vista OK as you would expect for a machine that was specced up for Vista. A mimimum of 2Gb RAM is needed. The reason why the owners wanted to revert to XP was so that their accumulated hardware collection would work. One in particular had some really nice video editing hardware but Vista turned its nose up at it.
So now for that tip:
Buy a new hard drive (cheaper than Vista), disconnect the old one, connect the new one and then install Vista. When you want to revert to XP, as you probably will, all you need to do is swap the disks again. then you can reconnect the Vista drive as a slave, reformat it and use it as extra storage. Pop your page file on the slave and see if you notice any improvement in performance.

Sponsored Links
a real experience...

purchased a dell 1520 inspiron just before christmas, upgraded spec 2gb ram bigger battery ect.

had the option when ordering to have xp but thought vista was the way to go.

anyway being a bit of an amateur games mapper i started using it for this purpose.

so it comes to a point where you have to recompile a map into a usable format.

i was a little concerned a the time it was taking to perform this task, i mentioned this to a friend in the states and he tried it with a startlingly different result.
I tried the same task on my old p4 2.8gb hyperthreader with 1gb of memory and it took half the time.

bearing in mind in theory the inspiron is a 1.6gb dual core with 2gb of memory, which should equate to the equivalent of a 3.2gb p4.

rather alarmed at this lack lustre performance i got in touch with dell.

my heart sank when i realised it was an indian call centre.
i couldnt have been more wrong they were brilliant.

after an exhaustive test of all the components they declared there was nothing wrong with the machine.

then they admitted it was the operating system.

after a quick negotation they agreed to send me a complimentary copy of xp pro, which i promptly installed.

now im a happy bunny, and dell are using valve hammer as a benchmark tool.

My neice bought a new PC, an acer machine with Vista on it. After a few days she begged me to "upgrade" her to XP like her dad's machine. I asked why and she said "there's just so much I can't do". Turns out her USB wifi adaptor wasn't supported, neither was her printer.
The Machine was also running dog slow with "only" 1GB of ram.
An hour later and she has a whizzy XP pro SP2 machine that runs far quicker.

As far as games go, if I want a games machine, I'll buy an Xbox 360 (as it's actually cheaper than buying Vista Ultimate).

I think for the moment though, I'll stick with a dual boot Ubuntu/XP box (ubuntu being the default).

Well, I appreciate all the help ive recieved here... I've decided not to upgrade to Vista, but spend my money on building a new system instead =}

Thanks all

I bought a new laptop with vista installed. Blooming horrible, It looks like its been designed for children and treats you like one as well ( are you sure you want to do this? Of course I am, I wouldn't have asked for it otherwise ). Ihave XP on it now :D

Well, I appreciate all the help ive recieved here... I've decided not to upgrade to Vista, but spend my money on building a new system instead =}

Thanks all

I bought a new laptop with vista installed. Blooming horrible, It looks like its been designed for children and treats you like one as well ( are you sure you want to do this? Of course I am, I wouldn't have asked for it otherwise ). Ihave XP on it now :D

Even More annoying than the famous office paper clip.

I use XP at work for email and web and sometimes swear at it. I grew up on Amiga and RiscOS. I did my PhD on a Mac so I've used lots of OS's. I also have a 2 processor dualcore (2x2) Mac as well with 8Gb RAM and it is fast. And for Travel I use an ASUS EEEPC.

My advice in general is this. Is it best for you. If you want performance (because of hardware Software optimisation) then get a Mac, especially if you are using a camcorder or video editing. If you want the OS that has the most compatability then use XP. If you want the future (since the masses are sheep) then get VISTA and also loose functionality.

If you want performance and functionality then use Linux. I use xandros (full) on my EEEPC, PCLinuxOS Gnome on my desktop at home (good security) and also used Vector Linux (good old slackware based) on my Laptop for Speed.

BUT no matter what people say, Linux still has a small learning curve, but once you have spent a week using it, you'll never go back.......

PC I also use SKYOS.

If I were you i'D STICK WITH xp

Cheers
Bob

I pray that I'll never need another computer - cos I don't want Vista.

My friend got a new laptop two months ago with Vista on it and we still haven't been able to set up her internet connection.................. and I'm not totally stupid, but I gave up trying to do a wireless connection.

I also had several arguments with it when it kept asking me if I was sure that I wanted to do something. :LOL: :LOL:

My friend got a new laptop two months ago with Vista on it and we still haven't been able to set up her internet connection.................. and I'm not totally stupid, but I gave up trying to do a wireless connection.
:

BUT are you sure you wanted to do it? ;) ;) Bring back the BBC micro... who will ever need more than 32k of RAM?

Erm, I'm not sure! :confused:

Now I'll not be able to sleep tonight, wondering if I really wanted to do it or not...............................

Damn! :LOL:

I installed Vista OEM when I built my last PC.

It's down to personal taste really. The recent service pack has solved a few issues but Vista is not as quick as XP IMHO.

My advice, if you have XP stick with it and save yourself some money.

Sponsored Links
Back