UPS and cordless phones.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have considered the idea of an UPS to stop loss of date and time with a power cut with my Panasonic cordless phones but considered it's not really that much of an issue and I have one phone wired for emergency.

However I go my mother some BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking and she rang me on mobile to say her cordless phones would not work.

I expected to find one phone not hung up correctly but when I got there I found these phones fail completely after a power cut until the time and date is reset.

Now this is more serious and there is no warning in the manual about lack of time being set will stop them working. The power connector is more like a phone socket so it would require cutting power cable to DIY the job but one wonders is there is any ready made unit with something like a PP3 to maintain power during a power cut?

Anyone seen a simple conversion to maintain power on master base?

Sponsored Links
I'd ditch those phones and get some that are impervious to power outages!

Do you lose all the stored messages, address library, too?

everybody should have at least one wired POT to use when there is a power cut, or their house is on fire.

I expected to find one phone not hung up correctly but when I got there I found these phones fail completely after a power cut until the time and date is reset.
Take them back to the shop and reject them as "not fit for purpose". They were sold for use in the UK (I assume), and any reasonable person would consider occasional power cuts as "normal". Therefore, for them to fail to work properly after a normal event happens means they are not fit for purpose.

I've seen such idiocy before. In that case it was a fax machine which, after a power cut, would print out a warning that it didn't have it's clock set. Except it didn't print it once, it kept printing it every few minutes until the paper roll ran out :rolleyes:

These days there's naff-all excuse for something not keeping it's clock running during at least short power cuts. It's only designers taking the p**s and making cheap s**t. So don't support them, vote with your wallet and refuse to accept stuff that can't cope with normal conditions.

Sponsored Links
I have not looked to see if SMS messages are retained good point. As to addresses yes they were retained and I was impressed at only having to enter a number in one phone and it was then available to all phones.

The emergency access to call centre was not affected this is the reason I made a dash down to my mothers home as I thought there may be a phone off the hook which would stop the emergency system working.

The mobiles both still worked and so as far as calling for help she still could. What I did not test was if incoming calls were affected. That is something I must test.

The idea of rejecting calls where the caller has withheld there number seemed great until I found the emergency services withhold their number if they call back to ask for or tell you of any further information. So although they can be set to reject any calls where ID is withheld I have not set this on the phones.

Clearly to have an independent phone which would still ring where caller ID is withheld would really defeat the whole idea so a wired phone on same system would not be a good idea.

I am guessing a DC supply from phone and would think a simple PP3 battery would retain the time and date.

I have same problem with oven. Power failure and on return of power it will not work until the clock is set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back