upstairs bay window side cracks with same on render outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one help

purchased semi in 2007 noticed upstairs bay window outside render cracked on edge, then in 2009 noticed cack was lenth of lower bay area, noticed crack inside of bay area, hair line crack but in last 6 months crack inside looks worse and when i push it it seems loosih, but also looked out window and noticed bay crack was same lenth and directly opposie, no air comming thru, tested that but concerned, live very busy life salvaging from credit crunch

live far from contacts so difficult

Sponsored Links
There are tons of possibles. Depends on type, age etc. Prob best to post photos if you can.

If it's a Vic house the bays were often tacked on after the house was built and it's very common for them to part company.

A lot of early 20th houses the brick bays are built onto the window frames - they commonly start cracking when the frames deteriorate or a year or so after replacement windows.

Another lot of early 20th the bays are just timber frames with rendered panels. Cracking is their thing - it's what they do best.

thanks for that, did forget to say was told windows were fitted in 2006 before i brought the house, neighbour seems to think they were banging the frame a lot, but all windows seem level and all open and close k , so may not be frame allignment,

i have attached photo from inside bay

hope this helps house 1930's

many thanks

Sponsored Links
A photo of the whole of the external window frame and surround would be useful.

From what you say though my bet is poor quality window replacement. Many 1930s windows were load bearing and if they have not been replaced properly you will get problems.

i have been unable to get exterior photo,

if windows fitted wrong how hard to rectify please, the crack on exterior is on the corner as bay catches house, to wall

thanks for all your input :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back