upstairs lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father has a problem with upstairs lighting circuit in old house.
There are 4 lights on circuit(as far as I am aware), the bathroom and landing lights work, the two bedroom lights don't.
On checking for voltage I am getting 240v between live and earth and 200 volts between live and neutral, this applies to both roses.
The voltage on landing is 240v between live and neutral
Could this be the problem?
would 200 volts not be enough to light a 60 watt bulb?

Can anyone help please

Sponsored Links
My father has a problem with upstairs lighting circuit in old house.
There are 4 lights on circuit(as far as I am aware), the bathroom and landing lights work, the two bedroom lights don't.
Have they ever worked?

If they used to, and now they don't, what event(s) took place between used to and now?

On checking for voltage I am getting 240v between live and earth and 200 volts between live and neutral, this applies to both roses.
Which lives & neutrals are you checking between? Are you using a digital meter?

would 200 volts not be enough to light a 60 watt bulb?
Yes.

The domestic voltage can vary over the day and is not often at a constant value.
You could expect a 10% (+ or -) variation from 230V, and this would also be reliant on whether the voltage tester is reading accurately.
At what points are you reading the voltage?
At the live loop or at switch live?

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the wiki, uk electrics lighting section.

That will explain light wiring methodologies.

You say the wiring is old, but if it has earth wire inside it it could be younger than me.

Check every switch and accessible junction (hopefully at the ceiling rose) for wire condition and that cores are all firmly screwed in the terminals. Any darkened cable, burnt, smoked or heated would be high on the suspect list.

If none of the simple investigations don't reveal a problem come back with some pictures of the main fuse board, and at any area you think could help us help solve your problem.

Sometimes it is quicker and more prudent to get someone in. Half an hour, and they should be able to tell you what the problem is.

If there's a loft above, check for animals eating stuff, slipped tiles and water leaks and any recent move stuff that might have caught a wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back