Lighting circuit unusual problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I had a fault on a light cable running from under the floor on the landing(coming from a junction box) out to the dining room ceiling rose. i was getting a live metal box at the wall switch. I then disconnected the earth connection in the junction box and in the light swich and still got a live earth cable?

So I then replaced the cable from the landing to the ceiling rose and did not connect the earth at either end, but still got a voltage between the live/earth and neutral/earth. I got 240V on the live and when measured across the earth to live or neutral I get 110V

Could this be an induced voltage caused by the cable going through the floor joists in the same holes as ring main cables?

Sponsored Links
if you dissconected the earth at both ends which earth were you measuring to?

also your meter was set to AC wasn't it? (have to ask)

Completely disconnect the cable at both ends (remove LN&E). The using a meter with continuity tester, check both live & neutral to earth.

I have seen this before when a nail or screw has penetrated the cable.

And to answer your final line - No this is not induction it is a fault or your earth is not grounded properly.

Sponsored Links
stovesy said:
Completely disconnect the cable at both ends (remove LN&E). The using a meter with continuity tester, check both live & neutral to earth.

I have seen this before when a nail or screw has penetrated the cable.

And to answer your final line - No this is not induction it is a fault or your earth is not grounded properly.

sorry to say do not use it on continuity as this either says "yes or no" use it on ohms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back