Upstairs lights are stupid

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that an earth lead being used as a feed in the second picture???
Yes and no.

It's 3-core & earth, commonly used in 2-way switching. But clearly not, in this case, directly connected to the other 2-way switch....

Sponsored Links
Are my eyes deceiving me or is that an earth lead being used as a feed in the second picture???
Yes and no.

It's 3-core & earth, commonly used in 2-way switching. But clearly not, in this case, directly connected to the other 2-way switch....
. Is there a way i can make it safe for the time being until i get a pro out. If its directly connected to the 2 way switch what does this mean.

Is there a way i can make it safe for the time being until i get a pro out.
I would say connect the earths to the metal switch plates, but given that the previous owner was an idiot you have no guarantee that the earth is continuous. Or that it really is an earth.

Replace the metal switches with plastic ones.

If its directly connected to the 2 way switch what does this mean.
Look at the explanations of lighting circuits in the Wiki ....
Did you not do that?

No, it is the yellow of a pre-harmonised three-core and earth cable being used. That said, the cores are not correctly identified, as all of them should have been sleeved red (nowadays brown) to indicate that they are phase (now line) conductors.

Sponsored Links
Hey guys all sorted. Previous owner just muddled some of the wires up as they wernt properly colour coded. And it was just the 2 switches pictured that were not earthed but electrician said it was fine as the wires were secure but they are all earthed now. Thanks for your help guys

just the 2 switches pictured that were not earthed but electrician said it was fine as the wires were secure

I would not have confidence in that "electrician".
. Not that they were fine, just that they were secure so would of been unlikely to get a shock but he earthed everything anyway and sorted out the wiring problem in about half an hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back