Upstairs lights are stupid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. This is a right confusing one. So moved home and didnt not realise that the upstairs lights are all really stupid, ill explain. wether switched from upstairs or the downstairs switch the light at the top of the stairs has to be on so i can use the light in the bedrooms and bathroom if te landing light isnt on they will not work. I can turn the bedrooms and bathroom lights off with their own switches but cannot turn them with them unless the landing light is on. Please help its doing my head in. Thanks in advance guys. [/b][wiki][/wiki]

Sponsored Links
All the lights downstream of the landing light are taking what should be their permanent live from the landing light's switched live.

Look at the explanations of lighting circuits in the Wiki and you'll see how the circuit should work and should be wired.

And also think about the fact that someone who's an ignorant bumbler has been fiddling with the wiring in your house - you should get it checked out for peace of mind.

Sounds like you have the connection of the switch for the landing light and permanently live supply mixed up and should be swapped around.
Do you know how the connections are made?
Are they looped in at either switch or light fitting or junction boxed from above in ceiling/floor void/loft space?
Pictures may help!

Sounds like you have the connection of the switch for the landing light and permanently live supply mixed up and should be swapped around.
Are they looped in at either switch or light fitting or junction boxed from above in ceiling/floor void/loft space?
Pictures may help!
I have not had a real look round as we are still unpacking but i have a feeling that the connections are from a junction box because all the light switches are on the ceiling leading to the loft ( they are pull cord light switches). I will have nosy when we are all finished unpacking. thanks for the quick reply.

Sponsored Links
I would think someone has changed the landing light at some point and mixed the wiring up.

Can you upload some photos of the wiring in the upstairs switch, downstairs switch, upstairs ceiling rose and your consumer unit (no need to take the cover off the consumer unit)?
Turn off the power at the consumer unit before unscrewing the switches etc.

Can you upload some photos of the wiring in the upstairs switch, downstairs switch, upstairs ceiling rose and your consumer unit (no need to take the cover off the consumer unit)?
Turn off the power at the consumer unit before unscrewing the switches etc.
. I will upload some when the internet is up and running i am doing all this on my phone at the minute and wont let me upload any from here.

Pictures may help!
I have not had a real look round as we are still unpacking but i have a feeling that the connections are from a junction box because all the light switches are on the ceiling leading to the loft ( they are pull cord light switches). I will have nosy when we are all finished unpacking. thanks for the quick reply.
Just because you have pull cord switches does not mean that the circuit is connected via junction boxes, they could be looped in at the light fitting.
But this will need to be confirmed.
The fact that they look new would lead to the thinking that when the previous occupant or the person they employed or asked to replace the accessories, did not perform that task correctly nor did they prove that the circuit was functioning as it should after completing this task.
I would suggest uploading photos, taking notes of terminal connections in relationship to the cables and also either purchasing or borrowing a multimeter, so some testing can be done.

The fact that they look new would lead to the thinking that when the previous occupant or the person they employed or asked to replace the accessories, did not perform that task correctly nor did they prove that the circuit was functioning as it should after completing this task.

And also think about the fact that someone who's an ignorant bumbler has been fiddling with the wiring in your house - you should get it checked out for peace of mind.
Would you fancy trusting your life to the work of someone who couldn't change a few lights without mixing things up and who then just thought "oh well" and left it as was when they didn't work properly?

Pictures may help!
Just because you have pull cord switches does not mean that the circuit is connected via junction boxes, they could be looped in at the light fitting.
But this will need to be confirmed.
I would suggest uploading photos, taking notes of terminal connections in relationship to the cables and also either purchasing or borrowing a multimeter, so some testing can be done.
. I have uploaded some photos of the hallway and landing.

here are 2 picures i have managed to get up of the downstairs and upstairs switches for the hallway and landing.
LANDING LIGHT SWITCH
HALLWAY LIGHT SWITCH.

That all looks very amateurish and shoddy.

You ought to get a reputable electrician to check the whole installation, before you start decorating, fitting carpets, buying furniture.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that an earth lead being used as a feed in the second picture???
And un-sleeved earths in the first picture!!
Don't delay. Get a professional in now.

Metal front plates and they are not earthed. The earth terminal is just visible in the photos but not used. Potential dangerous.

You do need to get the installation inspected and the errors, like the wiring of those switches, corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back