Upstairs radiator not bleeding

Sponsored Links
Hi John, the other rads are further away from the boiler if that’s what you mean?

no, I mean the height (above ground level)

when there is insufficient water in an open-vented system, the water level drops, and the highest radiators in the house no longer have water all the way to the top. This will also reduce water pressure so that nothing comes out when you try to bleed them.

As mentioned above, this is most likely due to a blockage in the feed pipe that comes from the small tank in the loft, where it joins onto the mean heating pipes. This is often in the airing cupboard.

The risk of blockage can be reduced by using a system filter, which has a magnet to capture circulating iron oxide particles, and a corrosion-inhibiting chemical.

As you already have a blockage, it's too late to do that now, and a cleaning chemical will not work, though, once the blockage is removed, these methods may prevent a recurrence.

If you are fond of plumbing, you might be able to fix it, but more likely you will need a plumber. As its a water pipe, you don't need gas-safe qualification, though your heating engineer will be very familiar with it. I'd suggest that if you employ a professional to fix it, you ask them to fit a system filter as well. It may cost about £100 extra. You can add chemicals yourself.

Have you got a magnet? It will help you find the blockage.

Thanks all! That’s really helpful :) just so I know - any ideas for a ballpark figure of what it’ll cost to fix? Just a very rough idea is handy :)

not me. I'm a householder.

They may offer to sell you a powerflush which will cost hundreds extra.

Sponsored Links
not me. I'm a householder.

They may offer to sell you a powerflush which will cost hundreds extra.
If you do indeed have a blocked cold feed no amount of powerflushing will clear it or any other blockage for that matter

indeed.

But after (probably) cutting out and replacing the blocked pipe, a powerflush as an extra will add hundreds of pounds to the bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back