upstairs radiators cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oil fired flow and return vented system with 17 rads. All the downstairs are fine and get hot but upstairs only one gets reasonably hot two more are barely lukewarm and the other three are stone cold although on one of them there is hot water below the inlet valve but it is cold at the lockshield end. I have had two plumbers confront the problem and between them they have powerflushed three times fitted two vents one near the header tank and one under the flloor at the highest point on the flow pipe, added inhibiter and fitted a new pump. One bypassed the thermostat on the boiler and the water was so hot all the rads worked. That was in the summer but the system has now reverted to its old ways. I have since backflushed, bled and made a reasonable attempt at balancing the system. All the rads fill with water normally and all the valves are working. I have run out of ideas and money. Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
I know it's a bit cold to experiment at the moment but as a starting point I would turn OFF all of the downstairs radiators and then see how the upstairs ones perform when the water is forced to take that path.

I know it's a bit cold to experiment at the moment but as a starting point I would turn OFF all of the downstairs radiators and then see how the upstairs ones perform when the water is forced to take that path.

I forgot to mention that I have tried that and they are just the same

Sponsored Links
Assuming there are no extra motorised valves controlling the flow to the upstairs, I can only think there's a blockage, or maybe an airlock if the pipes take an unusually long up-and-down route (through the loft for example).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back