upstairs radiators getting cold on one side every week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post, hopefully I'm following forum rules. I've had a search for my problem already on google and on the forums here but I can't quite find the identical issue anywhere.

I live in a 3 bedroom semi (we moved in Aug 2011). The problem is that on average once a week I have to keep bleeding our upstairs radiators as they get cold on one side. To clarify, I do not mean the top and bottom (I've seen this as a more common problem discussed on the internet). Luckily our master bedroom seems to be OK but the bathroom radiator and the 2 spare bedroom radiators get cold every week and I'm not sure why this is?

The boiler is based in our bedroom (in a small cupboard dedicated to the boiler). According to the paper work the radiator system was replaced in 2009 and this is when the old boiler was removed from the kitchen and a new combi boiler was installed in our bedroom. I think the radiators themselves were not replaced however.

Also some months after we moved in we had the bathroom radiator replaced as the bottom of the radiator was showing rust.

I'm wondering why I have to keep bleeding the radiators every week? Also to note, I only bleed them when the heating is off.

To be honest I've read some of the threads on here and the terminology is going straight over my head so if you guys would be able to help me out baring in mind I'm a total beginner when it comes to plumbing, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the system was not flushed when the new boiler was installed you may have a problem with a build up of magnatite a bi-product of this being hydrogen which is what you are probably bleeding out of your radiators. A sealed system has less chance of accumilating air than an open vented system.

You could also try turning off the rest of your radiators to see if the problem ones heat up all over, if they do it could be a balancing issue.

I take it you have to keep topping up the system as well, which could point to a weep/leak somewhere.

Thanks for the responses guys.

No, I have never topped up the system. Should I be doing so? Where do I check the water level?

Also, when I get home this evening I will try turning off the other radiators and then checking to see if the upstairs ones warm up all over. If they do and it is a balancing issue, is this an easy problem to fix? On the other hand if the radiators remain cold on one side, any idea what else the problem could be?

The radiators are now due another bleed, they are remaining very cold (including our main bedroom one) which is very annoying!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
at the top of the postings page is a sticky called boiler/c.h.repairs, in there one of the replies discusses balancing rads

If you have to keep bleeding your rads, the system must be losing pressure.

A gauge and filling loop would normally be on or near your boiler and should read 1 bar or there abouts cold.

Ok so I haven't had a chance to switch all downstairs radiators off and see if it makes any difference yet but this morning before I left for work I realised the radiators need bleeding again! It's been less than a week!

I noticed some sort of pressure gauge thing just below my radiator, when the heating (or shower) is on, it is just below 1 but when no one is using the hot water in the house (when radiators are off and shower is off) then it drops to just less than half.

Is this what you guys were talking about when you said I'm losing pressure?

I'm sure I remember the plumber (that changed my bathroom radiator a little while after I moved in) telling me that if that gauge goes below one it means I'm losing water or something from the system and there could be a leak somewhere?

Many thanks.

As recommended above, I switched off the working radiators but this still did not fix the issue so I don't think it's a balancing problem.

Thinking more about it, I think the pressure gauge thing has lost pressure a long time ago (hence I've always had to bleed the radiators). Do you guys know how I can 'top up' the pressure? I want to see if I lose it again or if it stays. Perhaps this will help to narrow down the lost of problems it could be.

Many thanks and apologies for several posts in a row.

Yes you'll lose system pressure whenever you bleed one of the rads. If you have the instruction manual for your boiler then you'll be able to ID where the filling loop goes, and top up the system accordingly (see this video to get the general gist of things). Often the filling loop is left attached, but IIRC it's a legal requirement to remove it after use. If the system pressure falls to zero the boiler will not fire up at all.

With the rads, check the TRV's and lockshields to see if they're operating correctly. The TRV side should feel hot going from the floor into the TRV and then out into the radiator, and the lockshield side will be slightly less hot (useful video here)

I agree with the earlier comment, frequent bleeding points to hydrogen build-up, so you're looking at having the system flushed, or having the system drained and the problematic rads removed and flushed through (with a hose and cold water), and then system refilled (inhibitor added etc).

Looking at your gauge it looks like it is reading 0.5 bar you need to top it up to about 1.2 bar when the system is cold,bleed your radiators when the system is cold and then top up the pressure. If your boiler is in the kitchen you sometimes find the filling loop in the cupboard under the sink, look for a braided hose coming from your mains cold water. Do as above then try the heating again.

many thanks for your help guys.

i've finally got time to sort this out. i've just got home and the house was freezing so the heating has been on for an hour. it's going off any minute now though so how long do i have to wait for the system to be cold enough for me to top up the pressure?

that video was really helpful, thank you very much for showing me. luckily (even though it's against the rules apparently) the filling loop is still attached.

thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back