Upstairs toilet no building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We installed a wc and small corner basin in one of the bedrooms of my 2 bed terraced house approx 14 years ago. At the time we had no idea about building regs and didn't make an application, I am now selling the house and made an application with my local council for a regularisation certificate.

I have since been reading up on requirements for a toilet room and there are 2 things that concern me....

1. I've read the minimum size is 70x130cm, the room I have is approx 90x106cm so does this mean it can't stay ?
2. If I can keep it, should we have an extractor fan ? There is no window or fan currently

I've been trying to find a definitive answer online, but as useful as Google is it's also a minefield. I'm starting to worry now as I can afford to lose any money on this house and have a horrible feeling things are not going to go well .

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Hi

We installed a wc and small corner basin in one of the bedrooms of my 2 bed terraced house approx 14 years ago. At the time we had no idea about building regs and didn't make an application, I am now selling the house and made an application with my local council for a regularisation certificate.

I have since been reading up on requirements for a toilet room and there are 2 things that concern me....

1. I've read the minimum size is 70x130cm, the room I have is approx 90x106cm so does this mean it can't stay ?
2. If I can keep it, should we have an extractor fan ? There is no window or fan currently

I've been trying to find a definitive answer online, but as useful as Google is it's also a minefield. I'm starting to worry now as I can afford to lose any money on this house and have a horrible feeling things are not going to go well .

Thanks in advance for any advice
Fit an extractor - essential. The size is fine. The waste connection to the drains will be scrutinised.

Sponsored Links
There are no minimum sizes for WCs.

The regs that apply are those in force at the time of the works.

A fan would be needed with over run. Sometimes, a stub stack and air admittance valve too, depending on the pipe layout.

Thank you all that's a relief, we can fit an extractor fan no problem. I didn't want to take it out as its already sold subject to contract, so I guess taking it out would have an impact on the price. I think we are good with the waste pipe but will check the guidance. Thanks so much !

If sold subject to contract, why do anything.
Because it doesn't have the correct regs and lenders may not lend on that or the buyer may not be willing to accept it. Its already been raised by their solicitors, these are the types of legal queries that get raised whilst subject to contract

Thanks all for your advice, had the inspection today and as mentioned they just said we need to install an extractor with over run and then they will sign off. They were in and out very quickly, didn't really look at the plumbing work much. Happy with that result. Thanks again !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back