upstairs waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new upstairs bathroom fitted last year. There is a knocking noise every 20 seconds or so from the bath waste pipe (inside the wall) every time waste water passes through it, lasting for about a few minutes. Sometimes when water drains through the washing basin or toilet in the same bathroom, the noise (from the bath waste pipe) came on too. I read it somewhere that the noise may be due to the PVC pipe contraction/expansion due to weather/pressure change (the noise did disappear in the summer when weather was hot). Is it so?

I can live with it, but I wonder if something worse happens (i.e. waste pipe leak), will I be able to detect it from the room ceiling or wall downstairs? The waste pipe is inside the wall and I don't know if the pipe goes through the floorboard or not?

Any tip much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back