New bath draining slowly.

There is another way to route the waste but will involve a new hole in a wall about 5 inches from the new bath waste position leading out to an unused hopper. ( Used to serve a kitchen waste, now not in use ), This would probably solve the problem... should I suggest this???

Thats not my drill.. its the fitters.

quote] Who are these Fitters - any plumber would have gone with the waste through the wall as you suggest.... :rolleyes: and would have done the rest a bit better too

Sponsored Links
And would have bent those copper pipes so they were parallel at least along the visible bit :confused: , plus clipped the pipe into the clip he's screwed to the wall :LOL: . On the subject of copper pipes, make sure that he/s made the bottom one the cold supply for the bath and not the hot..

There is another way to route the waste but will involve a new hole in a wall about 5 inches from the new bath waste position leading out to an unused hopper. ( Used to serve a kitchen waste, now not in use ), This would probably solve the problem... should I suggest this???
Yes.
Thats not my drill.. its the fitters.
Well at least he seems to have a decent drill :LOL:
I reckon there is about 1/2 on inch drop over 6 ft of pipe..
Minimum fall is 18mm/metre so you’ve not enough at present & maximum unvented branch length for 40mm is 3m. This is required under Building Regs. does your man know what these are? All the work in you bathroom must comply with them especially the electrics; is that the tail end of a whirlpool bath pump under there!
Just had a closer look and it appears the pipe goes UPWARDS from the waste then downwards to the oulet... will that just make a long trap of will it cause problems later?
Doesn’t work like that & yes it will.

Got to say that the standard of work there looks awful & do you really want a boxed in plinth running around your bathroom?

Sponsored Links
While we're at it, what it that black thing on the wall in the first photo, and what is the pipework going into (speedfit fitting) on the one with the tape measure in it? Am curious now.

And why does the bath not look level?

And, as Richard implies, why didn't he run the copper pipework under the floorboard? :confused:

Thanks for all the adivice. I will have a word with him especially about the lack of drop... and the push fits.. and the rest of the stuff.
The electics are being looked after by a proper sparks ( Napit ) so no problems there.

:)

Gees - if this is your handiwork, then there's no shame in admitting it. After all, you're on here to ask for professional and experienced opinions.

You will save us all a lot of time (we won't get into criticising a tradesman who may be giving us a bad name!) if you can clarify this, and if it is a DIY task then we will be able to give easier to understand help and advice.

Gees - if this is your handiwork, then there's no shame in admitting it. After all, you're on here to ask for professional and experienced opinions.

You will save us all a lot of time (we won't get into criticising a tradesman who may be giving us a bad name!) if you can clarify this, and if it is a DIY task then we will be able to give easier to understand help and advice.

NO NO NO this is NOT my handiwork NO NO and thrice NO.
I would have knocked a hole in the wall and ran the waste that way by my man didnt think it was required. The questions I am asking are to bolster my position when I see him on Monday morning. My electrician inn't very happy about the plastic fittings on the copper pipes either. Don't half spoil the electrical continuity !!

I would have had a go myself but her indoors wanted it done "properly"

The tee joint where bath and basin connect looks wrong from what I can see too. Tee's are swept in direction of flow, ok for bath but basin will shoot straight past into the bath waste before eventually making its way out.

Maybe why the basin drains quickly.... :eek:

Just had a closer look and it appears the pipe goes UPWARDS from the waste then downwards to the oulet... will that just make a long trap of will it cause problems later?

i think already said that on my first post

i think already said that on my first post

Sorry I must have missed it :oops:

I will deffo be having a word when I see him.
As I said earlier he also managed to completly isolate ALL the copper pipes from the main earth bonding by "carefull" use of plastic couplings!

Gees, who is this bloke? From what you're describing, and what we can see, he clearly isn't qualified. These are basic things covered pretty early on in plumbing training, both theoretically and in practical situations (and these are assessed).

Gees, who is this bloke? From what you're describing, and what we can see, he clearly isn't qualified. These are basic things covered pretty early on in plumbing training, both theoretically and in practical situations (and these are assessed).

I got him out of the phone book... I did visit two of his previous customers and I must say the finished product is fine as far as I could tell.
But I couldn't see beneath the surface, and a layer of tiles hides a multitude of sins! Soething else I just had pointed out to me by her indoors is the fact that where he has fitted the shower bar there is about 15mm of green threaded pipe showing
View media item 19654
It is a bar that was already in use and there where no threads showing before he moved it. It looks a bit cockeyed as well?

I havnt paid him anthing yet.. should I make sure it's all OK before I get the money out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back