New bath draining slowly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new bath drains quite slowly with lots of "gurgling" noises from the waste pipe. Could this be due to a lack of "drop" as the pipes are almost horizontal within the bathroom? The bath is now at the opposite end of the room with the waste now running round the walls from one end to the other...The old bath used to drain very quickly!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thats fair enough....

Back to the problem in hand...
View media item 19634
Does this look like enough drop? I think it needs more>> As you can see the job is far from finished and I really need to get the problem sorted out before the pipes are boxed in...

How long is the run? It could do with a bit more fall and as said fit an anti vac trap too.

There's no real drop going on there from what I can make out. If you can manage about 25 - 40mm per metre length, that will improve things.

Assuming its running from R to L of pic, and the tiles are level, then its got a bit of fall there. If you are using 90deg knuckle bends they might slow down flow of water, I prefer the swept bends.

I'd be wary of boxing that in without access, I dont trust that push fit not to come apart. Solvent weld is a far better job IMO.

The flow is from R to L and the pipes from the waste go underneath the bath ( offset corner ) and along the wall as you can see. The pushfit joints will be accessable at there is a plinth that clips to the legs of the cupboards. the bit of boxed pipe will be continuous. There is another way to route the waste but will involve a new hole in a wall about 5 inches from the new bath waste position leading out to an unused hopper. ( Used to serve a kitchen waste, now not in use ), This would probably solve the problem... should I suggest this??? I will post a picture of the underside of the bath.. this may help

View media item 19635
As you can see the waste uotlet is quite near to the floor.

Thats not my drill.. its the fitters.

I reckon there is about 1/2 on inch drop over 6 ft of pipe..

View media item 19637 View media item 19641
Just had a closer look and it appears the pipe goes UPWARDS from the waste then downwards to the oulet... will that just make a long trap of will it cause problems later?

Might be part of your problem in the 3rd pic. Is the pipe reducing to 32mm there or do I need to go specsavers?

Pipe from the Left ( 32 mm ) is a washbasin feed.. the outlet is the larger size pipe... The washbasin drains VERY quickly.

The outlet is through the wall to the right of the join

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back