Upstairs wetroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to refit an upstairs bathroom. There are joists and 1inch floor boards. Does the floor need special treatment before floor tiling? Is there any provision for problems (say, with plumbing) afterwards?
Camerart.

Sponsored Links
I would board over the floorboards with Hardie screwed down to the joists at 30 mm. Are the floorboards tongue and groove?

Hi L,
Floor boards not T&G.
So there will be a step up into the bathroom? or can I remove the floorboards, and screw down Hardie?
I have read that this would then need to be tanked, is this correct?
C.

For what it is worth my wet room corner shower is a DIY project using solvent welded plastic sheet and bar to form a shallow tray 800 mm by 800 mm in a wet surround area of 1200 mm by 1200 mm. This is set into the suspended floor of 12 mm marine ply wood and 8 mm oiled oak planks built above the ancient floor boards that are unsafe but as "historic fabric" cannot be removed.

The two corner walls are each formed from one piece of ABS sheet. The two corner edges of the surround are turned up behind the wall sheets to prevent water running off the surround.

The other two side have loose hung shower curtains that restrain the water into the tray but with some landing on the surround. After 5 years it is still problem free. That said it is not child proof should an un-supervised child ever got hold of the shower head.

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure off the top of my head but I would personally put down on top of the boards with powder adhesive and screws. Don't forget the tape and to feather that too. For a wet room you would then need to tank it with either WP1 or Mapei. You can't use dispersion on tip of tanking however so would have to be powdered on top of that for the tiles.

Hi L,
Ok, this follows the last post, where I could have a raised waterproof, shower wet area.
Thanks, C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back