Upstairs window opening regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the current regs. state that upsatirs windows should have an opener not more than 1100mm above the floor. The windows in the current part of my house have mock sash windows with openers at the top (more than 1100mm above the floor) The extension I,m adding has to comply with the new regs. thus meaning I need bottom openers, I think????
Though while looking round some brand new properties 2 weeks ago they were built with similar windows to my current ones, i.e. mock sash opener at the top, is there something I have missed in my interpretation of the new regs.???
Cheers

Sponsored Links
BUILDING REGULATIONS B1 - Fire safety

For a typical Domestic Dwelling (storeys not more than 4.5 Metres above ground level) Approved Document B Requires that all Habitable Rooms (living rooms & bedrooms but not bathrooms or kitchens) on and above the First Floor must be provided with Emergency Egress (escape).

In addition, rooms at Ground Floor level whose' only Fire Escape is via another room are also required to be provided with suitable Escape Windows.

This means an External Door (above ground floor) or Window that Complies with the Specification contained at 2.11 of the Document: Any window provided for emergency egress purposes and any external door provided for escape should comply with the following condition;

The window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33 Metres Square and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide. The bottom of the openable area should be not more than 1100mm above the floor.

In practise this is achieved by fitting an Egress Brand Fire Escape Hinge to a Designated Casement Opening in each Habitable Room on & above the First Floor.

So basically, if the window in question is a designated fire escape then it must comply as above. If you have a dummy sash window with a top opener over a fixed pane, then you will need to fit an opening casement to the lower 'fixed' pane. This may mean a complete new window frame.
Check with your local building control office who may be able to advise you on what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back