Windows: Means of escape

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Ok window fitters what's the rules regarding the above, someone I know has had a house full of windows, old pvc out new pvc in, all upstairs windows although have a clear 450 opening going up to 600 but all have transoms at 1500mm, now as far as I was aware transom couldn't be above 1100mm, fitters are saying they're right

Sponsored Links
What came out? did they just replicate what was there already? If so they fall under ' not making the situation any worse ' scenario

Screenshot_20171108-200051.jpg

As above, before and after

Means of escape

When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces. If the original window that is being replaced was larger than necessary for the purpose of escape, then the new window opening could be reduced down to the minimum as specified in the criteria below.

The means of escape should be considered for any new window installed to an extension or existing dwelling. If an escape window is required then criteria set out below should be followed. It is also generally good practice to replace any window on the first floor that is not used as an escape window with an escape window.

See below for the general criteria for egress windows:

• Width and Height - Either of these are not to be any less than 450mm
  • Clear Openable Area - No less than 0.33m²
  • Cill height - The bottom of the openable area should be no more than 1100mm above the floor area.
Is the bit in bold a guideline or is it law, ok they've made it better by lowering the transom but its not enough as it's still at least 1500mm above floor level

Theres the crux of it ' It is considered Good practice ' doesn't mean that it is a failure. At a fensa meeting many years ago, we were told that if you replace Pvc that you can put back exactly what you took out, as the situation is' made no worse ' .

Me , personally , I would have altered it for better Fire Escape as you show, under due care and diligence, better to have an altered window , than a potentially trapped person due to poor window design

Sponsored Links
Crank , taken from the Fensa guide 2014 ..

Summary:

A fire escape window is required on the ground floor in any habitable room that does not open onto a hall leading directly to an exit door e.g. an inner room.

A fire escape window is required on upper floors not more than 4.5m above ground level in every habitable room (unless the room has direct access to a “protected stairway”). This is usually the case for the upstairs of a conventional two-storey dwelling.

A habitable room does not include a kitchen or a bathroom.

Upper floors more than 4.5m above ground level should be accessed by a “protected stairway” or an alternative escape route and therefore fire escape windows are not required.

There is no requirement to have more than one escape window in a room.

A fire escape window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33m² and at least 450mm high or 450mm wide. If one of the dimensions is at the 450mm minimum then the other dimension will need to be at least 734mm to achieve 0.33m². The route through the window may be at an angle rather than straight through.

The bottom of the openable area should be no more than 1100mm above the floor.

If the outgoing window meets the minimum openable area size of 0.33m² and 450mm dimension, then the replacement should meet these minimum requirements however, if the outgoing openable area exceeds the minimum requirements, there is no obligation for the new window to meet this larger size, as long as it meets the minimum requirement of 0.33m² and 450mm. Similarly, if the openable area complies by being less than 1100mm above floor level then the replacement should also comply by being less than 1100mm, but there is no obligation for it to be any lower than 1100mm above floor level even if the outgoing window is lower.

If the outgoing window does not meet the minimum openable area requirements, then the replacement window does not have to meet them, but the area, minimum dimension and height above floor level should not be made worse than the outgoing window

Its the bold bit at the bottom....

Yeah it looks like thats what they're clinging on to, where as I was looking at it from the POV that if i were replacing it then I'd of made it easily accessible

I would do the same as you but some just look for the easy way out....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back