Upvc Bi-Fold Door Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a new garden room built last year (Dec time) with 3 door bi-fold doors. Since then the doors have caused us big problems. With the recent hot weather it's meant the doors will no longer open. This fault developed in March time really.

I was hoping to go back to the original company and get them to sort it out. But they went into liquidation in April. I was covered by the Consumer protection association (theCPA) but apparently because the fault developed before the company went into liquidation they won't cover it. So I'm stuck with a garden room that we can't really get in to!! So frustrated with theCPA. I complained back in March but was ignored by the cowboy builders!!

I assume there isn't anything I can really do other than fork out to get the doors fixed myself? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
How did you pay for it. If with a credit card, then you may be able to claim against them for the repairs.

How did you pay for it. If with a credit card, then you may be able to claim against them for the repairs.

Unfortunately I paid with a bank transfer. So not with a credit card.

Sponsored Links
I take it they are upvc

Spot on. The whole garden room came as a package so wasn't given the choice of a different material. Looking around the web, looks like upvc isn't a great material for bi-fold doors!!

We offer both but always advise against upvc. We have done a few sets of upvc and touch wood all has been good

We offer both but always advise against upvc. We have done a few sets of upvc and touch wood all has been good

Yeah, I have a new neighbour who is a builder who said they never install upvc these days. They just can't trust that they won't have problems. I assume the original guys did it to cut corners and save some money.

I was hoping to go back to the original company and get them to sort it out. But they went into liquidation in April. I was covered by the Consumer protection association (theCPA) but apparently because the fault developed before the company went into liquidation they won't cover it. Any ideas?

Did the CPA provide you with an explanation as to why they are declining your claim? Did they provide to you a copy of your terms and conditions highlighting that particular clause? Did they provide you with the contact details of the insurance ombudsmen i.e. email address, phone numbers, postal address, if they decline any claim you have the right to appeal so they have to give you those details? Ask the CPA to look at the claim again and get them to show you where on the t&c's it says your not covered, if they refuse then threaten to take it up with the ombudsmen, they won't like that because it costs them a standard set fee to fight each claim with the ombudsmen

Just so you know though generally you have 30 days from becoming aware of the fault to report it to the insurer, maybe they are using this reason for declining your claim however having said that I've assessed jobs for insurers and I was asked to ask this question while on site, often though what I found was the homeowner tried in vain to contact the original installers within the 30 day period but often they're given the run around sometimes for months in some cases a year before they're told the company is no longer trading and to take it up with the insurer, by this time the fault can be a year old, the insurer I worked for was pretty reasonable and would always approve in such cases

Did the CPA provide you with an explanation as to why they are declining your claim? Did they provide to you a copy of your terms and conditions highlighting that particular clause? Did they provide you with the contact details of the insurance ombudsmen i.e. email address, phone numbers, postal address, if they decline any claim you have the right to appeal so they have to give you those details? Ask the CPA to look at the claim again and get them to show you where on the t&c's it says your not covered, if they refuse then threaten to take it up with the ombudsmen, they won't like that because it costs them a standard set fee to fight each claim with the ombudsmen

Just so you know though generally you have 30 days from becoming aware of the fault to report it to the insurer, maybe they are using this reason for declining your claim however having said that I've assessed jobs for insurers and I was asked to ask this question while on site, often though what I found was the homeowner tried in vain to contact the original installers within the 30 day period but often they're given the run around sometimes for months in some cases a year before they're told the company is no longer trading and to take it up with the insurer, by this time the fault can be a year old, the insurer I worked for was pretty reasonable and would always approve in such cases

Hi, the reason they gave for declining my claim was the fault developed before the company (Wyre Garden Buildings Ltd) stopped trading. I didn't see the clause in there t&c when I first read through them. But I had a finer read after and turns out it is there. On their form they asked when the fault developed... and foolishly I answered it truthfully!!

I think my problem is similar to what you describe. I reported the issue in March. I emailed and tried to get in contact several times. But the builders just ignored me. They clearly knew they were going under. Then all of a sudden there website disappeared and company's house said they'd stopped trading. So I then thought I'd be able to get it sorted through the insurer. But turned out the insurers have this ridiculous clause in there contract. It sounds like there isn't anything I can do unfortunately. I should have read the t&c a lot more closely before submitting the claim.

Hi, the reason they gave for declining my claim was the fault developed before the company (Wyre Garden Buildings Ltd) stopped trading. I didn't see the clause in there t&c when I first read through them. But I had a finer read after and turns out it is there. On their form they asked when the fault developed... and foolishly I answered it truthfully!!

I think my problem is similar to what you describe. I reported the issue in March. I emailed and tried to get in contact several times. But the builders just ignored me. They clearly knew they were going under. Then all of a sudden there website disappeared and company's house said they'd stopped trading. So I then thought I'd be able to get it sorted through the insurer. But turned out the insurers have this ridiculous clause in there contract. It sounds like there isn't anything I can do unfortunately. I should have read the t&c a lot more closely before submitting the claim.

Did the CPA inform you of your right to appeal, did they provide contact details of the ombudsmen? If not contact the CPA, they are obliged to provide them, email the ombudsmen explaining why it took so long to submit the claim, they will contact you within days stating a resolution within 14 days, if found in your favour they will instruct the CPA to pass the job to a repair agent to get it repaired if possible or replaced

Did the CPA inform you of your right to appeal, did they provide contact details of the ombudsmen? If not contact the CPA, they are obliged to provide them, email the ombudsmen explaining why it took so long to submit the claim, they will contact you within days stating a resolution within 14 days, if found in your favour they will instruct the CPA to pass the job to a repair agent to get it repaired if possible or replaced

No, they didn't inform me of my right to appeal or provide me with any details of the ombudsmen. I'll contact them tomorrow and get the details. I appreciate the help. Thank you. Still gives me a chance to get them sorted.

My pleasure

Also the document they gave me says that "Plus you can guarantee your deposit and all the work carried out for up to 10 years – wherever you see our stamp of approval..."

So feels a bit deceptive to then turn round and say no it's not!!

I would take it up with the ombudsman, they really will surprise you

I gave the ombudsman a call. They said there isn't really anything they can do. I was convinced the policy covered against defects, not defects if the builder isn't a cowboy or goes into liquidation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back