Upvc Bi-Fold Door Problems

I'm surprised they didn't request it in writing, insurance companies prefer a paper trail, really surprised they told you with just a phone call and no investigation that you have no claim, that's certainly not the experience I've had in over 10 years of dealing with such claims

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised they didn't request it in writing, insurance companies prefer a paper trail, really surprised they told you with just a phone call and no investigation that you have no claim, that's certainly not the experience I've had in over 10 years of dealing with such claims

Interesting. They did say I can submit something but it wasn't likely to go anywhere. So what I've done is started an official complaint with theCPA. Then if that comes back negative, I'll raise something with the ombudsman and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate your help. Hopefully something comes of it.

Tell them as soon as you realised a problem with your doors you immediately tried to contact the installers and that was certainly within 30 days in the hope they would attend to the fault, tell them you emailed the builders/installers numerous times, include copies and dates of those emails, and then of course after some time had passed you became aware theyd ceased trading, the insurers stance is the fault appeared while the installers were still trading even if now they've gone bust, your argument is they wouldn't respond to your emails so in respect of that how can you be held responsible or be blamed for that when you've followed the procedure according to the t&c's, I know the whole insurance industry exists on the very edge of the law and sometimes they will try it on, the ombudsman will charge them a fee to investigate your claim, the insurer may then just approve your claim as its not worth fighting

Interesting. They did say I can submit something but it wasn't likely to go anywhere. So what I've done is started an official complaint with theCPA. Then if that comes back negative, I'll raise something with the ombudsman and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate your help. Hopefully something comes of it.

So they are sending out someone to do a report on the fault. They are coming Friday morning. So that's more progress than before. I don't know if they are just going to get to the end then say no but at least they are doing something!!

Sponsored Links
Is it a repair contractor coming out, did they say who it was?

No I don't think it's a repair contractor. But someone to assess what needs to be done I think.

They said this in the letter

"Please note that our appointed engineer is currently the Remedial Company (www.remedialco.co.uk)"

Is that normal?

Yes, I heard of them, they'll come to complete a report for the insurer, basically the insurer asks for 3 things from them, 1/ What the fault is, 2/ What the cause was and 3/ Make a recommendation on how to put it right

Don't tell them it was an on going issue, it happened in March and you tried reporting it to the installer immediately without success, once you found they'd ceased trading you then informed the insurer hence the timeline

If it's something they can repair on the first visit they will, they'll have the authority for mainly adjustments but any parts required will need to be ordered and another visit booked, or if they think in their judgement they'll be on going trouble with them they'll probably write them off and replace them, you'll be ok with remedial company, where are you based?

Last edited:
Yes, I heard of them, they'll come to complete a report for the insurer, basically the insurer asks for 3 things from them, 1/ What the fault is, 2/ What the cause was and 3/ Make a recommendation on how to put it right

Don't tell them it was an on going issue, it happened in March and you tried reporting it to the installer immediately without success, once you found they'd ceased trading you then informed the insurer hence the timeline

If it's something they can repair on the first visit they will, they'll have the authority for mainly adjustments but any parts required will need to be ordered and another visit booked, or if they think in their judgement they'll be on going trouble with them they'll probably write them off and replace them, you'll be ok with remco, where are you based?

Oh amazing. Thank your so much. I'm based in Enfield, North London. Just from the eye you can see the frame is bulging! Hopefully they just say to get them replaced. It's a shame they won't replace them with aluminium ones.

If they feel the doors will never be right they may recommend to replace them now, they may even offer aluminium as they're less trouble, they probably gave you the service engineers name for security, Daniel at a guess, might be wrong!

If they feel the doors will never be right they may recommend to replace them now, they may even offer aluminium as they're less trouble, they probably gave you the service engineers name for security, Daniel at a guess, might be wrong!

That is spot on actually. Because my son is called Daniel! I spoke to Paul about it. I'm very impressed. How did you know that?

Last edited:
I used to work for them about 7 years ago before leaving to go work for myself, good company

I used to work for them about 7 years ago before leaving to go work for myself, good company

That's really worth knowing. The man I spoke to was really nice so hopefully Daniel is also. It'll be great to get the doors opening properly. Is a shame they didn't recommend yourself. You very clearly know loads about this. You have been amazing thank you so much.

Daniel came and had a look. He said that it'd been installed terribly. It basically needs to be reinstalled. He said it's hard to tell if the bits need replacing because it was installed so badly! Hopefully it's not going to cause us issues saying it was installed wrong! He was a really nice guy. I mentioned you Crank but he couldn't work out who you might have been!! Lol...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back