upvc conservatory door jammed shut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our double patio/conservatory doors are jammed shut.

The lock has always been stiff and you could only really turn the key by pulling the doors towards you when on the inside, or by pushing into them when on the outside.

Now the key turns the same but the handle of the door with the lock will not go down fully ensuring the door remains closed.

If I try and force it I hear a faint click at around head height, which sounds like the hooks(?) trying to disengage.

Have tried a liberal spraying of wd40 and much shoogling backwards and forwards but the doors remain closed.

Is there anything else I can try before getting someone out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you see the hooks from the inside?
If you can can you insert something like a dining fork and try lifting the top one up, even tapping it up with a soft faced hammer, if that releases and the bottom is now a problem, try the same trick here. Alternatively can the opening door (the one fitted with the hooks) be lifted at all?? you might have to pack the other side to keep it down when doing this, hopefully the door only requires a small amount of lift to clear the catches. Good luck and hopefully you'll manage to open one way or another...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back