UPVC Conservatory structural problems - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built a conservatory a little over a year ago. The Eurocell section UPVC roof and sides were supplied to me by a company in Coventry. It is South facing and meaures around 9 x 4 metres.
The problem is the west facing side which has not been sufficiently reinforced to withstand strong prevailing westerly winds. I had noticed that the conservatory was noisy in the wind but recent strong gusts have forced me to take more notice. The whole side flexed a worrying amount with destructive movement between the base of the top unit(cheese) and the side window, neither of which have been reinforced. The movement was so violent that I have put a prop in place to support before it imploded. As you can see from the photo, both d/g units on the side window have blown because of the trauma. As well as the movement in the wind, I have problems with adjusting/using the inward opening French doors. The top frame bar was slumped when first fitted. It is reinforced but likely required additional support.
I have written to the supply company but heard nothing back. Regrettably because of previous issues with getting a guarantee I can see that I will have to take legal action to get this matter resolved.
Please can I have your opinions as to the best way forward. I am in south Devon and will need professional advice as to what is required to make the conservatory fit for purpose as well as finding a recommended company to carry out the work.
DCP02326.JPG

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need to fit a heavy duty coupler between the frames and cheese to help with the wind deflection but this will mean lifting the cheese up, the wallplate, the front ring beam. I'm surprised the supplier didn't specify this when you ordered

You'll probably need to fit a heavy duty coupler between the frames and cheese to help with the wind deflection but this will mean lifting the cheese up, the wallplate, the front ring beam. I'm surprised the supplier didn't specify this when you ordered

This coupler was certainly not specified but it definitely sounds like it should have been, especially for a 4 metre span.
What does the heavy duty coupler look like please. From what you have said, the entire conservatory roof would need to come off to fit this coupler. Would this also solve the problem of the slumped top section on the French doors?

Well i don't suppose your limited to just eurocell couplers but they'll generally look like an i beam turned sideways and laid flat between the windows and cheese, they'll also be wider than the frame and the over hang inside and out is covered with a clip on cover, with the french doors being there too i am mighty surprised no coupler was advised of, bet the frame moves just when opening and closing the door?

You could jack the cheese off the frames with acrows and strong boys and then slide the coupler in from the front, we've jack many conservatives up this way in order to replace the cills

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your suggestion makes perfect sense. They supplied a plastic 'H' section type piece to join the cheese to the side door and window frames - no strength whatsoever in any direction. Although it was initially a supply only arrangement, I did pay for one of this companies fitters to fit the UPVC with his son and I as labourers.
You are right about the doors - there has always been more movement than I am comfortable with.
Do you think that the cheese or window/door top sections could be remade narrower to accommodate the extra thickness of the coupler without raising the whole structure? roof is lean to, hinged to fixed wall plate so cannot be raised without complete removal and repositioning.
Given your input, not specifying this adapter and adjusting the conservatory height was a major mistake on the part of the supplier.

Proper mistake yes, my suppliers system would of flagged up the need for a HD coupler during inputting to get a price, major oversight IMO.

Don't know how friendly you are with them but they may be able to cut and reweld to accommodate the coupler, mine certainly would whether your mistake or theirs or even if you need to buy a new cheese and new glass its better than a wobbly conny

It would be nice if they were to take responsibility for their mistake and put it right but they haven't responded to my letter, received over a week ago. They promised a 10 year guarantee on the conservatory and reneged. It took me 6 months to get this sorted and had to go direct to the roof glass manufacturer to get their guarantee.
The supplied conservatory kit was not fit for purpose so one way or another I will pursue this company for the cost of sorting it all out.
The main issue is that they are in Coventry and I am in South Devon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back