UPVC door advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,
Looking for a bit of advice on fitting a new UPVC back door on a typical mid terrace house, done quite a lot of timber casings and doors over the years but never UPVC.
The old timber casing that has to come out must have been made out of ex 4" timber and has been finished at 97mm wide (inside face) by 70mm deep approx, the new UPVC casing will be approx 70mm x 70mm, obviously this will mean there will be a gap as it's smaller.

The old timber casing is pushed up to the back face of the outside brickwork, and ideally I would have done this with the new UPVC unit. However if I did this would mean that there would be and almost 30mm gap on the inside between face of kitchen wall and face of UPVC frame. Can I position and fix the new UPVC unit so it sits in the same place internally as the old casing (flush with the face of kitchen wall). This would effectively give me a gap between outside face of the casing and inside face on the outer skin of about 30mm. I would then cover this gap with some 45mm upvc trim and polysulphide sealant.

Basically I want to know if it's ok to cover this 30mm gap with trim as in the past I have always fitted doors tight to outer skin of brick ans avoided this. It would be easier this way than having to have the 30mm gap on the inside/kitchen side and have to make it good.
I had thought of fitting between brickwork rather than behind and making a lining/architrave inside but they (inlaws lol) want it done this way to leave maximum width with the door.

Sorry for the rambling post. :)

Sponsored Links
I would fit the door tight to the internal wall and then foam fill around door frame, then cover the external gap with some 45mm upvc trim and polysulphide sealant.

Andy

you can buy upvc extension's which clip onto the edges of the door frame and are also used on windows .
If the gap left is fairly large these are ideal to get a better fitting,you might have to the factory where they make upvc door/windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back