UPVC Door Handles and security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Parents recently visited and Dad delighted in saying how the handles we had installed (10 years old or so?) were currently a weak point and that burglars have figured out how to pop them open no problem (heat and mole grips or some such).

I am not too worried, but wondered about the types of language to look for when it comes to getting replacements? These are Hoppe handles installed, a couple a getting to end of life (enthusiastic children) so if I could upgrade at that point it could at least cover it.

I replaced the front door handle (like for like) when we first moved in, and now wonder if I've just bought a house full of poor quality handles, or if I'm worrying too much...

Thanks
TFT

Sponsored Links
It's a risk exercise.

If your house looks more secure and looks like less valuables inside then you are less likely to be targeted by opportunist.

However if you are targeted no handle is going to stop someone going through the glazing elsewhere. Even attach resistant laminates aren't totally secure.

Check your existing door and lock is fitted property and working appropriately, the amount of times I've seen people engage a latch with a deadbolt, then "push" the door into the frameto hear a second click (which they think makes sure it's locked properly when it's the deadlatch disengaging...) effectively meaning no dead latch at all...

Thanks - I agree, if someone wants to get in, it won't matter what the handle is... It was just a case of my dad and his scaremongering (he always tells me that my car is one of the most stolen in x), and thinking ahead to when the handles do finally give up the ghost and if I should look for a particular brand or is like for like would be enough.

Sponsored Links
Ask your dad which ones he would choose. Win win, makes him feel useful and you cant be wrong. Plus if you get burgled you can blame your dad (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back