UPVC Door - Locking issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange problem with my multipoint lock upvc door. I'll try my best to explain, but forgive my complete lack of any technical terms, and let me know if I can help to describe further.

Previously, when the lock was working, I would be able to lift the handle up, insert the key and turn to lock. All normal.

Now, even with the door open, the handle will not lift all the way up easily. It lifts up a small way (and the locks come down slightly, but to fully lift the handle up requires extra force, and it 'clicks' up, when before there was no resistance. Also, if I do force the handle up, the key will not go into the lock, almost as if something is misaligned.

The only way to lock the door is to insert the key into the lock first, then the handle lifts up with ease, and I can turn the key. Very strange.

When it comes to unlocking, previously I could turn the key a full 360deg and remove the key, before pushing the handle down to open the door.

Now, the key will not rotate a full 360deg, it gets almost all the way, but will only go the rest of the way if I hold the handle down.

Sorry for the long description, but its such a strange problem I don't really know what is important and what is not!

Any help appreciated, and please let me know if I can describe any further

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back