upvc door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed a couple of upvc doors that I had made but one of them is sticking due to this black plastic bit in the bottom of the frame :

If I take it out the door works perfectly. Can anybody tell me what it is there for and do I need it? (The other door has this but it doesn't stick it just rubs gently on it as the door closes).

Assuming it is necessary to have it do I have to start adjusting the hinges to raise the door to solve the problem? I looked at doing this but can't work out how the get the plastic caps off so stopped before I did my usual thing of forcing and breaking them ! Also I assume the raising the door might mess up the locking mechansim.

Thanks for any help !

Sponsored Links
It is not essential but they do let you know that a door has dropped and in future will still allow you to lock the door if the door drops further.

The door most likely just needs heal and toe packing or adjusting on the hinges.

Do the corner welds on the door meet nicely with the welds on the frame?
If its just the handle side of the door that dosent then you need to heal and toe.
If both sides are low then you can just wind up the hinges (depending on the type).

Thanks Gazman.
It's a brand new door made to measure. Just checked the miters joints and they are aligned perfectly so I guess it needs raising a bit on the hinges or just not having the black thing. On the other door it seems like the plastic bit stops it slamming a little but without really restricting the opening so I think raising the door by about 1mm would solve the problem.
Will have a look at doing that if I can get those plastic covers off the hinges. Otherwise I'll live without the bit in the frame.

Cheers.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of the hinges and someone should be able to tell you how to adjust them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back