UPVC Door Trouble!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went into the garden last night. Shut my rear UPVC door and ended up taking the handle with me.

The door is now in a closed position so I am unable to open it but thankfully the lever locks (5 point hooks) were not engaged so figurehead I'd use a flat head screwedriver to simply twist the square mechanism to release the catch... But. The mechanism has given up and is just spinning freely and not catching anything.

So now I need to get the door open to remove the mechanism to see of its a job I can manage without paying someone £200 for what may be a simple job.

Options are 1... Prise the door open with a spade so as to pop it

2.. Try and unhinge the door and try and slide it out if that makes any sense.

Here is a pic if anyone can help or give me some tips!!

BTW. The handle is just screwed back in to stop draught coming through but just spins round and round.

Attachments

• IMG-20160527-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20160527-WA0004.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
You wont be able to get the hinge pins out without opening the door 1st as there are grub screws that secure them.
Best bet is a thin flexible scraper forced in to release the latch.
Or quick thought can you see a 2nd spindle hole above or below the broken one (the gearboxs sometimes have them for a lever/pad setup) you may be able to use that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back