uPVC doors stay/closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20180529_115636427_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180529_115648328_HDR.jpg

Hi, I have a set of large (enough to get a car through) french doors on the end of my garage. My kids don't always close it behind them and the wind blows it open - the existing stay has bent, come out of the mounting etc and just dies seem up to the job of retaining and slowing down the door when caught by the wind.

Can I get something more up to the job perhaps along the lines of an internal fire door closer? I think it needs to have some kind of damping action.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Those euro grove restrictors always scare the hell out of me. I have seen to many go on windy days, rip chunks out of the frame and doors smashed.

You could fit oil powered door closers but to be honest they are pretty scary to fit and no guarantee you be able to screw into the metal reinforcing in the frame/sash (assuming it has any).

How about something like this concreted into the ground outside? https://www.fenceshop.uk/locinox-ugc-aluminium-gate-hold-back-catch.html

I've fitted one of the ' oil filled ' closers on my shed door , just so the kids don't leave it open , or the dogs and cats get in. Mine is an old Rosewood pvc door , so automatically had reinforcing ...think most pvc doors do theses days. I drilled a 2mm pilot hole for each screw and then used some self tapping metal screws ( similiar to baypole screws but smaller! ) to attach the closer to the door, been working well for about 3 years

As goes those Eurogoove stays , some are really ' weedy ' and rubbish , others are a bit more substantial . The one we use , when it engages at its fullest open point it clunks, almost making you think you have broken something ! They stay open inmost conditions BUT I always advise that they are not left open when it is actually windy ( say 15mph upwards ) , as the potential swing could cause all sorts of damage as Gazman says

"oil filled door closer"

got a link?

or did you mean this sort of thing?
s-l225.jpg

Sponsored Links
thanks

I'm looking for something to prevent doors slamming with a bang, but that's too big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back