UPVC double doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,
I have been trying to stop the draft from my Uvpc double doors on the south facing garden. It's really windy on the back and so i can't help but get drafts because of the doors.
I have tried new rubber strip gaskets, adding foam strips on top of the gaskets to seal the evident gap and even tried adjusting the hinges... Its still there... The gap and draft... Any ideas please?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Have you any pictures of the gap?

You say you've adjusted the hinges , did you adjust both doors , or just the main door. Also glass could well need packing (toe and heel ) . May possibly be the plastic top/bottom piece on the ' flying mullion ' has broken.... pop some pics up and the people on here should be able to advise

Thanks I will get some pictures.... It might explain it better

thumbnail_processed.jpg
thumbnail__20210206_130947.jpg
thumbnail_DSC_1899.jpg
thumbnail__20210206_131026.jpg

Sponsored Links
As you look at the doors...(see picture with both doors) its the right one...hinges are on the outside

Ok,

firstly , and please don't take this th ewrong way ..is the gap still there when the handles is pulled up? Compression on the gaskets isn't fully achieved until all the locking points are enagaged . Now this leads me on to the next thing to try , as you gap is between the door sash and the rubber ( eg Compression ) , when you open the door , you should see a metal ' lockplate ' on the ' floating mullion '. where the lock on the opening door locates into that lock plate, each place you should be able to adjust the ' keeps ' , to pull the door in tighter. If you can't see how to do it , get a photo up of the metal plate and again we should be able to advise.

As goes the 'mouldy' photo , this is actually fairly common . its where moisture sits on the silicone and , well , goes mouldy . regular cleaning helps but doesn't stop it , its exactly the same concept as the ' mouldy ' seals you see round baths. In fact in my experience a lot of the mould resistant silicones are worse than the silicones we use to seal windows we fit

Hi thanks for your help so far,
I took some more pictures and one showing me lifting the handle up....it wasn't insulting but yes i know that this action gives the door its compression effect...you simply cant see the gap in the photo but its there. like I said I have tried different and new gasket but doesn't make any positive effects at all
see pictures. thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_DSC_2004.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2004.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 98
  • thumbnail_DSC_2005.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2005.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 99
  • thumbnail_DSC_2003.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2003.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 90
  • thumbnail_DSC_2006.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2006.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 77
  • thumbnail_DSC_2008.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2008.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 80
Have you tried adjusting the top and bottom locking plates, and the centre catch plate?

Your second image shows the top lock plate, there should be an Allen key hole , which you can turn and it should pull the vertical metal plate in ( you may need to just loosen the Phillips head screws off first). You may need to turn both , it doesn't look like the vertical bar is in as far as it can go. If it works repeat on the bottom one. Centre catch is just a case of loosening of the screws and pushing the catch in

Thankyou,
So the one with Allen key plates... There should be the same at the bottom and simply undo and bring in? Same with the middle where the latch goes in? I will try this when I get home... Tha kyou... I can't seem to load photos on my phone but can on a computer when I'm home... I will update you... Thankyou

Thankyou,
So the one with Allen key plates... There should be the same at the bottom and simply undo and bring in? Same with the middle where the latch goes in? I will try this when I get home... Tha kyou... I can't seem to load photos on my phone but can on a computer when I'm home... I will update you... Thankyou
If you look between the top and bottom locking plates and the main lock, there's another plate that looks like this:

Si universal roller keep door window patio 1860 | eBay

If you look on the other door you'll see little rollers/lugs that locate into these when the lock is engaged. These rollers/lugs can usually also be adjusted to draw the door in slightly at those locations. So depending on where the drafts are coming in, it might be a combo of having to adjust just some or all of them. And you need to watch not to draw the door in too much as it can become too difficult to operate the lock and can sometimes put additional stress on the mechanism.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The 3rd picture shows the screw i turned to alter the compression. it appears that the centre bit which attaches to the other door (floating mullion) there is slight give...maybe from temperature changes maybe?

hope you can help

thanks guys

ian

Attachments

• thumbnail_DSC_2021.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2021.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 65
  • thumbnail_DSC_2020.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2020.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 61
  • thumbnail_DSC_2019.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2019.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
  • thumbnail_DSC_2022.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_2022.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 68

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back