uPVC euro locks are pathetic security - so is it possible to

Sponsored Links
JohnD - you've forgotten to mention the Alsation inside the house, and the trip wires connected to flash-bangs at both front and rear doors. :LOL:

Just to add to the debate about Eurolocks:

A couple of years ago my sister lost the keys to the french windows so my brother in law and me thought we would give it a try and get it open. After a bit of playing around (we didn't know about bumping) we thought logically and drilled through the bottom half of the eurolock. This takes out all the springs, the pins drop and hey presto, a quick turn of a screwdriver and we were in. It took about 3 mins to drill through, using a standard battery drill and hss bit.

I have a gun cabinet at home which is checked regularly by the police for security. While it has high security locks, anti-jemmy doors etc, if someone wants them bad enough they will get to them. All you are doing with any security you add to your house is to slow a thief down and make life difficult for them.

Bumping, whilst quite easy if everything is in place, in reality requires the correct key for each type of lock and number of pins. It is unlikely that your normal scum type of thief would have the forethought or patience to amass the number of keys needed to gain entry into even a small percentage of houses.

The upshot is, I wouldn't wory too much about this unless you happen to live in a large stately manor and are a target for professional (art etc) thieves!

Dave

Sponsored Links
As a Locksmith in Nottingham i get asked all the time about the threat of lock bumping and snapping and should they invest and i am always honest with the facts that yes this crime does happen maybe not as frequantly as some like to report it but due to the fact that "bumping" leave no physical signs of the crime so goes unreported there are no true figures to use. I for one belive that your home should have every measure of security that you can afford and if upgrading two possibly three locks on your home to avoid this crime then do so - i was born of a age when no car alarms were fitted and once car thefts began to rise EVERY one fitted a alarm to protect it from theft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back