Upvc french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for peoples opinions here and some advice. Im currently about to have a window replaced with a set of french doors. The opening measures 1770wide an off the shelf set of french doors for a 6ft opening measures 1790mm. Talking to my neighbour do is a real diy enthusiast he says just cut the extra mm out with a 12inch grinder as its only around 20mm each side to give a little bit of space for the frame each side. What are peoples thoughts here please im unsure to do this or have a set made to fit the gap. I have uploaded a picture so people can see the opening.

Sponsored Links
Its ok cutting the opening wider but you have to be careful you don't lose too much frame behind the plaster inside, its not all just about the outside

As God says get made to measure, for one thing the soldier bricks above will look odd if the door is wider. Are you sure the soldier course has support?

Sponsored Links
As above go for made to measure. Pop into some local double glazing company's with your sizes for some prices.

It will cost a little more but the quality will be 10x better than the off the shelf rubbish and it will save you a load of work.

Yes it will need to be signed off by building control or a Fensa registered company

Not even fensa or certass registered companies can sign it off due to altering the structure surely, is it BC only now?

Assuming there is an existing lintel and its not being made wider, then no structure is being altered and so can be signed off by Fensa.

Fensa did send out and email at the beginning of the year saying we could no longer do this but it was a mix up and only applied to one county I believe and that was overturned on appeal or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back