Upvc locks knackered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house to one built in 1994 which has 3 external doors of the multi point locking variety. On 2 of the doors, the locks are so stiff I can't lock the doors. Squirted some WD40 into everything, but no difference.

Can the locks be serviced or repaired or replaced or anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have verified, is it the locks that are difficult to turn, or is it the handle that doesn't turn and engage propely before you turn the locks.

Sponsored Links
It's the locks. So the key won't turn past a certain point once the door is closed and you pull the handle up.

But if you open the door and then lift the handle, and turn the lock, it's still stiff, but better. That implies the hooks aren't engaging in the frame because the door dropped.

Check on Youtube how to toe and heel a upvc door. You'll need some spacers, and to be able to get the glass out (or get someone to do it for you) but you effectively need to put some spacers under the glass window on one side at the bottom, and the other side at the top, to force it back up. That's assuming that there's glass in it of course.

Thanks mate, that's really helpful. Once I have a basic grasp of the problem, I can take it further. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back