uPVC or Steel face door - which one is safer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previously had a steel face door with a 5 lever dead lock and it was kicked in by burglers the other week.

Insurance company are going to replace the door with either uPVC or existing steel face door.

Anybody know which one offers the more security?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A butchers shop next door to me kept getting broken into. The thieves kept kicking in the back door (opened inwards) The butcher had 3 locks on the door. I got him a 1 hr fire door and new frame, turned the frame so the door now opened outwards and fitted 2 locks on this together with a couple of hinge bolts too. He's never been broken into since. And would be burglars are also kicking against the rebate instead of the locks. ;) ;) ;)

Thanks....

I should have pointed out that this is the front door to my house, so not sure 1hr fire door would be good.

any ideas on whether steel safe or upvc?

Composite doors are better than upvc doors but you can't wrong with a solid wooden door with good quality locks. I have seen composite doors but not sure if it's the multi-lock or euro type system they have because if it's similar to upvc doors locks then it's a waste of time :cry:

Sponsored Links
when it was kicked in, what gave way? the door or the frame?

generally, plastic doors are very weak and insecure. The reason they are littered with extra bolts and catches is to try to make up for their weakness and flexibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back