UPVC Window completely stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I had some difficulty getting the handle of my UPVC window all the way up to open the window fully. Eventually after taking the handle off and spraying some WD40 in it went all the way to the top but the window still wouldn't open fully (it was still tilting open from the top with the handle half way). I thought it might be the lug at the bottom not moving so I tried to get something in to force the lug but no success. Problem is now the handle is stuck at the top so can't lock but also can't open it either. Any suggestions on what to try to either get the handle down and lock (a bit draughty at the moment) or get the window open to have a look at the locking mechanism?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Is it a tilt and turn window?
If so I would recommend getting an expert in to take a look. When the mechs go wrong on them they can be a nightmare, even for just finding the correct parts.

Yeah it is a tilt and turn. Trying to avoid getting an expert out at the moment, just want to get it locked out open myself until Christmas is out the way. Could do without the extra expense at the moment!

Sponsored Links
Theres not really any specific advice anyone can give here.
Its a case of bending, Forcing, Trial and error and hoping not to make things worse.
Only tips I can give you is that if you take the glass out you will be able to bend the frame a bit more. And with the glass out if you do manage to get it back in the closed position you can then screw it shut from inside the sash before refitting the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back