uPVC window handle problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping someone can help. :) I have a top opener on my bathroom window and as I don't have trickle vents I normally leave it in the locked position but not fully closed for ventilation. I tried to fully open it this morning and the handle moves but the locks/catches are not retracting. I've removed the handle and the square metal hole within the window itself where the handle spindle goes appears to have broken and therefore the spindle is not turning the lock.

I've tried to manually pull up the four catches using an allen key and pliers but have been unable to do this (looking at the rest of the windows in the house I would think it would be very difficult to do it this way as they're pretty stiff). So at the moment I'm a bit stuck as I have a window in the locked position that I can't open or fully close. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way of getting the thing fully open? I'm assuming the window or mechanism will need replacing?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Sponsored Links
It does indeed sound like the internals of the window lock have broken ...seen it many a time. You may be able to get something ' oversize ' in the old spindle hole and open it but more than likely not. The only otherway I'm afraid is to remove the glass and then prise/jemmy it open . THIS IS NOT ALWAYS EASY AND DOES RUN A RISK OF DAMAGING THE FRAME/SASH!!! ( Sorry for Caps Lock but just this needs highlighting! ) . Once you have the window open you can then determine what lock you need to order ( you may be able to tell from another window if they were done at the same time )

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, the spindle hole has disintegrated, tried to take a photo to show but my camera is rubbish! I did think of using something in the spindle hole to try and get it to turn - I'll see what I've got that might fit. It's an upstairs window with external beading and as I'm currently without access to any ladders then if it's a glass removal job I'll have to leave it to the pro's.

All windows in the house were fitted in 2004 by Coldseal and despite their reputation have been okay. They have the tallon locks (four little hooks) and looking online there doesn't appear to be a direct replacement after Coldseal went bust but there are some replacements that would require quite a bit of fettling. That would definitely be one for the pro's!

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.

I did think of using something in the spindle hole to try and get it to turn - I'll see what I've got that might fit. Hi Matt a big flat head screwdriver would normally move the lock were the spindle goes.

Sponsored Links
20170716_101218.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back