Window Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly, my Dad died earlier this year. I have just been round to see my Dad's widow.

She has several windows that either don't open, don't close or are stuck between the two.

IMG_20190724_162659.jpg IMG_20190724_162646.jpg IMG_20190724_162709.jpg IMG_20190724_163005.jpg IMG_20190724_163015.jpg

The first three pictures are a window that won't lock closed. The handle, as you can see has come loose.

The penultimate piccy is the landing window. The window is locked in a "trickle vent" position and the handle just moves around 180ish degrees, without unlocking the window.

The last picture is the third window, where the handle does not fully move into the closed position, but the window is held in place. If you open the window, the handle will move into the "closed" position. I have checked the sliding bolts on the underside to see if they are obstructing the closing of the window, but AFAICT, they are all moving as they should. Could the handle mechanism be broken, stopping it from closing properly?

Is it reasonable to assume that replacing all three handles will solve these issues?

As you can see, these windows have handles with spindles: are they pretty much universal?

I have been looking here, but I'm not sure what the differences are.

https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/espag-window-handles/

Could you help, please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oh dear. I think you will probably need someone to come and fix them before any local scallys find out.

Sorry, conny. Edited after you posted.... can you help?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, CB, I've had a look at a couple. Trying really to find out of a "universal" spindle handle will fit in place of the broken ones.

Sorry, conny. Edited after you posted.... can you help?

Sorry SS I can't. Never worked with DG units except to help a mate fit some new cells to the windows in my old house a number of years ago.

Could the problem be that the socket the bar fits into has rounded. I've had this happen on door handles and simply changed the handles and thru' bar. Maybe that's all these need?

If you can get turn the mechanism with a flat screwdriver or such like then it's just a case of replacing the handles. They look standard, and common to find replacements.

If not, it's the mechanism. Take it out, look for any obvious broken parts, if not, clean, lube and replace. Otherwise look for a stamped name and model number.

Once you've worked out the make/model of the mechanism, all the others will probably be the same.

If it's difficult for you, ask around for a local "patio door and plastic window repairman."
There is bound to be at least one near you, because they are quite troublesome.

Personal recommendation is best, as ever.

My windows aren't plastic, but I've had misted panes replaced very cheaply by a local guy who was previously a fitter for national companies.

Thanks, CB, I've had a look at a couple. Trying really to find out of a "universal" spindle handle will fit in place of the broken ones.

Espagnolette handles are all fairly universal......older ones or aly ones may differ.

Standard espag handles have a 7mm square spindle, M5 fixing screws set at 43mm centres.

The fixing screws go into an M5 thread on the espag lock, not the window sash

Yours are straight handles known as in-line (as opposed to cranked handles which are handed).

Although handles can be obtained with different spindle lengths, nearly all those you find online will have 40mm or so spindles which can be cut down.

To remove a handle, take out the cover caps and unscrew the 2 machine screws, then pull off the handle.

Removing the espag lock should be easy they are mostly face fitted with pozi screws.

If take out the lock, it should be easy with one of the scrap handles to see if it operates correctly.

Be careful replacing locks -there are many different option on dimensions -if you post pics we may be able to narrow it down.

Thank you everyone. I have ordered one of the "universal" handles and will go round all three windows to see if it cures the problem. If it does, I'll order two more.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Notch pretty much covered it all.

As for the handle that spins through 180 it could be the spindle popped out of the back of the handle even though they are pressed in, it could however be the square drive inside the locking mechanism has fallen apart in which case the mechanism needs replacing

Thanks.

In that case I may be buggered as I can't climb ladders, so won't be able to swap out the mech....

Are you confident deglazing PVC windows? Perhaps do that and remove the sashes from the frame and replace any mechanisms this way?

These windows date from the 90's and are externally beaded. For various reasons I can no longer climb ladders, so can't remove the sealed units or examine them externally.

Anyway, I went round yesterday. I started with the window that wouldn't lock closed, squirting a goodly dose of WD over all the moving parts I could access. Then I removed the handle and checked it and the locking mechanism was operating correctly. The sliding bolts did not seem to be limited in their movement, nor the handle once refitted, until the sash was close to vertical within the frame.

I'm struggling to understand how, but I'm wondering if the sash has somehow dropped a millimetre or two within the frame so that the sliding bolts are snagging? Or perhaps it's simpler than that and the locking mechanism inside the sash is stuffed?

So I reluctantly abandoned that one and went on to the window where the handle was just spinning and the sash was locked in the trickle vent position. I removed the handle to find, as crank suggested, that the spindle had parted company with the handle.

Having sorted that, I could hear and feel that the mechanism was operating, but the window was still stuck closed. A sharp thump unstuck it and another liberal dose of WD followed by some rapid open/close movements got the seized hinges up and running again. It must have been like that for several years!

The last window (with the broken off handle) was easy. However, I found tightening up the handle against the upvc left the mechanism very stiff in operation. Loosening the screws made it freer, then the handle would pull away from the upvc when closing.

OK are the sliding bolts round, do they have a hole in the centre, if yes it's probably hexagonal and could have a dot or a line on, get an Allen key and turn the bolt (cam), it won't undo as it's pressed on but will turn through 360° , turning these tightens or loosens the compression on the gasket and of course makes it harder or easier to operate the handle, if you turn them so the dot or line is furthest away from the gasket on the opener (not the frame) and it will lessen the compression and effort required to close, find a happy medium

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back