uPVC window frame with no lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive been redoing my front porch, that has a flat roof from the garage over the portch. and i noticed when installing some downlights in the ceiling that I can see light though the end. so I took a camera and had a look and can see that the two joists that hold the ceiling are just resting on the top of the window frame, and there is nothing above it at all. so the window is only supported on the sides and bottom. the top just has two bits of wood screwed to it (the joists) that hold the flat roof up.

Anyway, is this technically allowed? or do i need to repair / amend this? I'm already considering taking the ceiling down and replacing it as its on a slope and the front door just catches the new lights, plus gives no room to skim coat it to remove the artex.
I suspect the slop is due to the misalignment of the supporting wall and the window frame on the other end as thats the way it slopes down. yet the flat roof looks flat from above. the joists dont look tapered or anything.

Can supply photos if that helps?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back