upvc window not closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently moved into the house and want to sort out one of the bedroom windows before it gets cold. I have checked across the diagonals of the frame and these appear okay also ran a spirit level and the window frame appears to be level. something appears to have gone skew and the previous owner has run insulating strip across the left hand side and top to attempt to stop draughts. The locking pin on the LHS is hitting against the window frame thus stopping the window from shutting. I have checked the position of the hinges on both sides and they appear to be in the same position on the frame. I cannot see any means of adjusting the window so I can lift up the LHS. There is a larger gap down the LHS of the window and also along the top on the LHS. Does anyone think the double glazed unit has dropped in its casing?

Attachments

• window hinge LHS.jpg
    window hinge LHS.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 75
  • window hinge LHS.jpg
    window hinge LHS.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Hi
Yes both appear to be mechanically sound. Undone the screws holding the hinge onto the window post and attempted to push the hinge up higher but it has a plastic stop at the top preventing this

You say you have a gap on the left hand side, towards the top? Where the hinge is actually placed on the window? If so new hinge time. The ' rivet ' type joints will be wearing, fairly common. Try wiggling th e windowback and forth ( open/close movement) , as you close it. It might relocate temporarily..until you open it again

Sponsored Links
Hi
I cannot see any movement on the hinges and opening the window and trying to locate play results in no detectable play in either hinge. I cannot close it as the lhs window lock pin keeps hitting the bottom of the window frame

Attachments

• bottom window lock pin.jpg
    bottom window lock pin.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 45
Ah right, the window has dropped on the hinge then. It will be where the hinge is screwed to the sash, you will need to seat the sash slightly higher on the hinge. Again quite common on large ' top opener ' windows ( top opener means hinges at top on either side )

Hi
I have tried undoing the hinge off of the window frame and moving it up but it will not go up any higher as it is as high as it can go due to a plastic stop at the top preventing further upward movement of the hinge on the frame. Could it be the hinge can be adjusted on the window instead of the frame

Yes, the window hinge can be adjusted on the actual windows sash , unless there is too much wear on the pivot points of the hinge. You can't always see or feel wear on pivot points.

Hi
Thanks for your assistance. I was not sure what the sash was I thought it was the frame I will see if I can adjust the window tomorrow and post the result

You may need to remove the window sash from the frame by unscrewing the hinges from the frame to reach all the screws on the window sash, depends how big the window reveal is and whether it's at ground floor level or not

Maybe someone has fitted a new mechanism and pins are too long.
That's why they hit frame and nothing wrong with hinges.
Ive fitted a few and easy enough. Last one was a universal one as original for the window was discontinued.

Random link to product

I managed to loosen the 3 screws holding the hinge to the sash. It was very tight but I used a cut down screw driver bit and a small socket and Tommy bar to loosen. The window is not fixed but leaving the screws loose allowed me to shove the sash up to close it. Holding the sash up and tightening the screws proved too difficult so I have decided to leave until spring when I will remove the sash and see if I can fix it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back