upvc window seal not filling the gap at corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Just moved into a house with old ish DG windows and I can feel a small breeze coming through the windows and I can hear birds clearly. Pulling the vertically hinged window CV closed stops this. The window mech on this window seems free moving.

The seal looks new, so looks like its been replaced recently. All the windows that are of the same age have the same shiny seal, thinking's its stormguard upvc seal given a bit of wastepaper i found in the loft, which is a 5mm bubble.

All seals have been folded at the corner rather than cut.

Anyway... The window to frame gap is typically 4 mm, but at the corner its 6 mm in the window I'm currently looking at, but think the second window is the same.

Is there something else I should be doing other than looking for a larger gap bubble seal , if one exists?

Sponsored Links
I take it the drafts are from the hinge side of the window not the lock side.

If so your hinges most likely need replacing.

Before you do that though you may be able to get a bit more use out of them by cleaning and lubricating the hinges, Also get a bit of grease in the corner tabs where the hinges lock in. Then open and close it several times and see if things improve.

You should clean and lubricate all moving parts at least once a year really.

I take it the drafts are from the hinge side of the window not the lock side.

If so your hinges most likely need replacing.

Before you do that though you may be able to get a bit more use out of them by cleaning and lubricating the hinges, Also get a bit of grease in the corner tabs where the hinges lock in. Then open and close it several times and see if things improve.

You should clean and lubricate all moving parts at least once a year really.

Sorry should of been clearer. Its the side opposite the hinges.

If its the handle side the mushroom locking cams should be adjustable.

There should be an allen key head on them, Just turn them the right way to lock tighter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i've had a look at the mushroom cams and they are already at the limit, so i think a larger seal is needed.

This, however, has become the least of my worries :S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back