uPVC window won't shut - hangs too low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our window won't shut anymore. The metal locking mechanism hits the pvc outer window frame when trying to close the window.

Anyone know how ot fix this?

Thanks

IMG_2383 s copy.jpg

IMG_2348 s.jpg

Sponsored Links
Window has dropped.

either the friction stays are cream crackered or they have just dropped and need adjusting.Maybe try some WD40 they could be seized up

it is the mushrooms on the espags that are hitting the frame.

Window has dropped.

either the friction stays are cream crackered or they have just dropped and need adjusting.Maybe try some WD40 they could be seized up

it is the mushrooms on the espags that are hitting the frame.

Thanks Notch, yes it is the mushrooms on the espags hitting the frame. Ok, first step I'll get some WD40 and give that a go. It is a bathroom window so moisture is a problem

Sponsored Links
Yes weight of the glass has caused it to drop, probably coupled with some wear as well.

The handles missing too!
the window swings open very wide. I suspect the force of it swinging open and hitting the last notch has caused it to drop.

The handle isn't working either! So I took it off to see what was wrong. Figured I needed to sort out the drop first. Handle second

the window swings open very wide. I suspect the force of it swinging open and hitting the last notch has caused it to drop.

The handle isn't working either! So I took it off to see what was wrong. Figured I needed to sort out the drop first. Handle second
Did you manage to sort this out? I had a similar problem for a new window, where the bottom of the frame bowed up, and although the locking pins were not hitting the frame, they sat too low to engage into the lock. The solution was to add a new fastener to pull the centre section of the bottom frame down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back