1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

UPVC window

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by dan2002, 25 Jul 2021.

1. dan2002

dan2002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, basically I have an issue with my bedroom window. How come when it is really windy the window shuts? Is there something wrong with the hinges of the window? The window is new, it got fitted like 7-8 months ago. It has a lock type feature. It only opens like 6cm & to open it fully wide you have to press something on the side. Obviously when it is fully open it doesn’t shut, but I normally like to open it a bit because the window opens really wide when the lock is pressed.

It is a half and half window. The top part opens and the bottom is just fitted on. Like this one:

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can adjust the ' friction ' .. on the hinge part that is screwed to the frame , there is a rectangle that slides ( sometimes black , sometimes grey ) ..you should see a circle with a slot in it. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to adjust the friction so it doesn't move as freely. As only 7/8 months old , if in doubt get the installer to coem back and adjust it

4. dan2002

dan2002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi mate, thanks for reply. I saw a youtube vid about that. I tried that. I tightened them. The resistance is higher than before. I can’t tighten them too much because I tried it and the window wasn’t shutting. Its gone slightly better but it shuts mainly when its really windy which is really frustrating. Should I tighten it a bit more? Thanks.

5. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    No because you could break the sliding guide, you need to find a happy medium, tight enough to stay open but loose enough to close without scraping

6. dan2002

dan2002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok thanks for the advice. I think it would probably be fine now. I have tightened it enough. If I tighten it any more it won’t move. I loosened the screws equally on both sides. Do you think my window is poor quality? I have a feeling it is.

7. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    I don't know I can't see it

8. Sponsored Links
  9. dan2002

dan2002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I will take a picture of it when I get the chance? Should I give you a pic of the side hinges?

10. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Yes, and the whole window stood back, some close ups of the sealing up inside and out. Generally though most pvc systems 99% of them are all pretty much the same just the asthetics, its mainly all in the fitting, a poor window fitted well is better than a good window thats fitted poorly as we say

• Like Like x 1
  11. dan2002

dan2002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. dan2002

dan2002

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think it is fine now. I adjusted the screws and now the resistance of the window is more than before. Before the window use to easily shoot out, now I have to push it. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully now when it is really windy it doesn’t shut.

13. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Looks ok to me, looks like swish profile

• Like Like x 1