UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, basically I have an issue with my bedroom window. How come when it is really windy the window shuts? Is there something wrong with the hinges of the window? The window is new, it got fitted like 7-8 months ago. It has a lock type feature. It only opens like 6cm & to open it fully wide you have to press something on the side. Obviously when it is fully open it doesn’t shut, but I normally like to open it a bit because the window opens really wide when the lock is pressed.

It is a half and half window. The top part opens and the bottom is just fitted on. Like this one:

Attachments

• C9076D1A-0771-4CFA-A642-7803F999C0E8.jpeg
    C9076D1A-0771-4CFA-A642-7803F999C0E8.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
you can adjust the ' friction ' .. on the hinge part that is screwed to the frame , there is a rectangle that slides ( sometimes black , sometimes grey ) ..you should see a circle with a slot in it. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to adjust the friction so it doesn't move as freely. As only 7/8 months old , if in doubt get the installer to coem back and adjust it

you can adjust the ' friction ' .. on the hinge part that is screwed to the frame , there is a rectangle that slides ( sometimes black , sometimes grey ) ..you should see a circle with a slot in it. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to adjust the friction so it doesn't move as freely. As only 7/8 months old , if in doubt get the installer to coem back and adjust it
Hi mate, thanks for reply. I saw a youtube vid about that. I tried that. I tightened them. The resistance is higher than before. I can’t tighten them too much because I tried it and the window wasn’t shutting. Its gone slightly better but it shuts mainly when its really windy which is really frustrating. Should I tighten it a bit more? Thanks.

No because you could break the sliding guide, you need to find a happy medium, tight enough to stay open but loose enough to close without scraping

Sponsored Links
No because you could break the sliding guide, you need to find a happy medium, tight enough to stay open but loose enough to close without scraping
Ok thanks for the advice. I think it would probably be fine now. I have tightened it enough. If I tighten it any more it won’t move. I loosened the screws equally on both sides. Do you think my window is poor quality? I have a feeling it is.

Yes, and the whole window stood back, some close ups of the sealing up inside and out. Generally though most pvc systems 99% of them are all pretty much the same just the asthetics, its mainly all in the fitting, a poor window fitted well is better than a good window thats fitted poorly as we say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back