UPVC windows, are they all the same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house and all the units need replacing, but some people tell me that some units are a lot more efficient than others, how do you know what you are buying is good enough? do they not all have the same gap between the glass,? and arent the profiles just about the same? and is the run of the mill stuff from Wickes ok?
Thanks for any help guys

Sponsored Links
Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?, Square Deals in York did all our windows last year and I was very happy with the job and the windows!.

The unit should have an efficency rating, also there are different types of glass that can be used to make the panels.

It really depends on what you want and your budget. The styles, makes and options run into billions nowadays
Most of the standard major brands are very similar (except Wicks & Durflex, That stuffs just rubbish).
How deep do you want to go down the rabbit hole? Ratings are made up, U values are better, Trickle vents destroy any rating etc.

Basically the fitting is way more important than the window you choose. A crap window fitted well is better than a great window fitted poorly

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?, Square Deals in York did all our windows last year and I was very happy with the job and the windows!.

The unit should have an efficency rating, also there are different types of glass that can be used to make the panels.
Rotherham mate

Sponsored Links
It really depends on what you want and your budget. The styles, makes and options run into billions nowadays
Most of the standard major brands are very similar (except Wicks & Durflex, That stuffs just rubbish).
How deep do you want to go down the rabbit hole? Ratings are made up, U values are better, Trickle vents destroy any rating etc.

Basically the fitting is way more important than the window you choose. A crap window fitted well is better than a great window fitted poorly
We have just moved into a big house and basically all the windows want doing, we didnt realise the double glazed windows were that bad until now it has started to get cold, our bedroom bay window is double glazed but the units have gone, and basically every morning we are mopping up buckets of water, even with the window ajar, so i was thinking that because we have no ready money, just purchase a window here and there and fit it myself, what do you mean about a crap window fitter? dont you just fit and seal it, is there anything to get wrong?
On a side note ihave noticed that i dont think i have any lintels above my windows, i have soldier bricks on the down stairs windows, and it looks like in the past the brickwork has moved, so now i am unsure if its a job that i want to do, my upstairs none bay windows dont have soldier bricks, so i am wondering if they will have a lintel fitted...
I was thinking about purchasing treble glazed windows, but no isea if they are really worth any extra money, thanks for your input

all the windows want doing
Do you mean the frames are broken, or the panes are misted?

Replacement panes are very inexpensive

every morning we are mopping up buckets of water,
Find out where the water is coming from, and put a stop to it. Windows don't prevent water.
Are you draping wet washing around your home? Do you fail to use a powerful bathroom extractor?

Otherwise, it must be a leak, or wet under the floor (probably caused by a leak).

Do you mean the frames are broken, or the panes are misted?

Replacement panes are very inexpensive

Find out where the water is coming from, and put a stop to it. Windows don't prevent water.
Are you draping wet washing around your home? Do you fail to use a powerful bathroom extractor?

Otherwise, it must be a leak, or wet under the floor (probably caused by a leak).
Thanks for the reply JohnD.
Ok i may have over exaggerated a little...
the panels are misted up on the inside, just about all of them on the upstairs bay window, on a frosty morning such as we are getting now, the window to the touch is that wet with condensation is running down the window and gathering on the sill, it is like the old fashioned single glazed windows that i remember, i think the units have been in that long that it doesnt seem value for money just replacing the units, so i think we shall have to leave it for now and save up for the whole bay doing...
We dont dry washing in that room, but the bathroom is not yet fitted with an extractor fan, so that has to be on the to do list, i have noticed that a lot of the windows are of the very old type, and have a very small gap in the glass, some of them are painted aluminium in a wooden frame..
Incidently I have just been to my local tradelink window centre this morning and priced up a 1200x1200 (great price) window for the downstairs, this is to replace one of the very old ones that has a small unit gap, as i mentioned earlier i believe that i dont have lintels fitted above the windows, so this may be out of my diy capabilities, i have a builder coming out in the morning to give me some advice
Thanks for your input JohnD

We dont dry washing in that room, but the bathroom is not yet fitted with an extractor fan,

"in that room?"

water vapour will diffuse through your house. It is lighter than air so tends to rise.

Get a powerful extractor. If you have access above the bathroom ceiling, for example in the loft, you can use a ducted fan, which is quieter and more powerful. Preferably have it come on with the light switch so you don't have to make any effort to turn it on.

I've had several fogged units replaced, it worked out at about £50 each.

Repairing fogged units is unfortunately a common maintenance task, like painting your front door.

We had exactly the same problem as the OP, poor sealing frames with double glazed units installed.

The condensation/ damp was very bad during winter even with windows ajar.

New windows solved it completely, I was amazed what a difference it made.

In the short term a Karcher window vac makes a good job of drying the windows ;).

Modern upvc windows will reduce condensation of the glass panes as the sealed unit itself stays warmer , you aren't eliminating that condensation ( water vapour ) , all it is now doing is finding another cold spot to condensate on ... usually a ceiling , or walls behind furnture...UNLESS you cure/reduce the amount of water vapour in the house ( created by cooking, washing , even breathing ) by allowing good ventilation , you haven't cured it , you've just moved it.......

I was also going to say you could just replace the units as they are cheap and easy but if you have aluminium in timber frames you do want to do the lot really even if one by one.
Those old ali ones had no or virtually no thermal break so very cold. Aluminium is also always cold in itself (4th most conductive material) so prone to condensation anyway.
Ronnie is 100% correct about reducing water vapor in the house but very cold frames below the dew point are prone to condensation even in normal moisture conditions so just changing to PVC could help alot (or may not).

Dont bother with triple glazed, Its not worth it in this country except maybe Scotland or very large glass panes.

Try some local double glazing company's for quotes, They will know the brickwork structure issues and have builders on hand who deal with it regularly. They will also know the few thousand pages of building regulations and be able to sign the windows off.
You could even get both full fitted and "survey and supply only" prices.
Measuring and knowing the regs is much trickier than the actual fitting especially on bay windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back