UPVC windows (installed 2021) not sealing in middle on side hung openings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

So, bought a house in 2021 and 6 months prior the previous owners had all the front windows replaced. All 4 sets have side hung, outwards openings. In the middle of the hinge side opening (vertical), there is a gap large enough to fit a piece of card through. A trades person who is replacing a glazing unit (hit by stone from road) pointed out this defect to us.

When we had the place knocked off internally, there is a wooden frame that the window sits in. there were gaps on the sides which the plasterer said are usually braced by further timbers when installing modern windows in an old (1800s) house?

I have rung the installer (found the CERTASS certificate), but he has yet to respond. I've dealt with this person before for other poor / failed workmanship and am preparing for a long-running row.

My questions are:

What do you believe the issue is here?
Can it be remedied easily - i.e. not a complete remove and replace?
Anything I should mention to the tradesperson in particular?

Pictures attached.

Thanks
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Just spoken to the contractor who put the windows in. Conversation started with a blatant lie which set the tone. Said he couldn't get to us for 6 weeks (we're 5 miles from his business) because he's so busy. Then says the guarantee for installation is none transferable. Still offers to come out, but not sure what he can do...

I guess the question is, are these fixable or do we need to start again...?

Guarantee is 100% transferable ... it's one of Certass's rules and has been for a while BUT not sure when it came in. First guess at that position, would be the frame is bowed slightly . Depending on the height of the window I'm not sure there is enough fixings in it , they should be no more than 600mm apart

Sponsored Links
I used to do work for QANW who are the warranty providor and part of the same group Certass belong to, I found QANW to be really fair in assessing and approving claims including transferable policies, a quick call to the warranty providor will confirm its transferable but the only sticking point might be is this, is the company who fitted them in 2021 still trading, are they the same company? I say this because if the original installer is still trading under the same name as in 2021, no breaks, no liquidation, administration etc then if so then the whether the warranty is transferable or not is academic because the IBG(insurance backed guarantee) can only kick in IF the original installer is no longer trading, if they are and Certass/QANW can tell you if they are because they'll probably still be registering jobs AND buying warranties from them then your contact is still with the installer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back