Urgent: Bath starts to fill up when plug is in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Had a phone/video call off the mother in law.

There has been a hissing noise coming from behind her bath taps/overflow area since yesterday. She has had a look down the back of the bath, behind where the taps are, down a small gap that is there, she cant see any water.

There is a bit of water around the edge of the bath drain. Please see the picture below. When she puts the plug in, the bath starts to pool with water from the drain. The drain itself isnt full, so it doesnt look like a blockage.

ACC005CF-4361-4588-9FB2-F9B6ED8D900A.jpeg

I just cant figure out what could be wrong. It defies logic.

Does anybody have any ideas before i make the 40 minute journey over to her?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the plug is firmly in place ,does water come up from the plug hole ??? That's odd.
More likely from above ,does she have bad eyesight ?

hissing noise - maybe a tap leaking slightly

A relative has gone round and unscrewed the overflow off the bath, the hissing sound has stopped but the water is still coming from the drain.

The water is apparently coming from the drain where it meets the bath. I told them there isnt any pressure there so water shouldnt be coming upwards.

I just cant get my head around it.

Sponsored Links
What happens when plug is removed ,does water come up into the bath from waste pipe / trap ?
Where is overflow disconnected ?
What taps ?
What style of bath ?

What happens when plug is removed ,does water come up into the bath from waste pipe / trap ?
Where is overflow disconnected ?
What taps ?
What style of bath ?
Ive been told the water comes up from the sides of the silver waste drain and then flows down the main hole into the trap.

The overflow is connected to the silver waste drain.

They are basin pillar taps, not connected to the waste in any way.

The bath is just a normal straight bath. Taps, overflow and drain at one end.

Ive been told the water comes up from the sides of the silver waste drain and then flows down the main hole into the trap.

The overflow is connected to the silver waste
That makes no sense ,and unless I am misunderstanding your descriptions ,is physically impossible.

That makes no sense ,and unless I am misunderstanding your descriptions ,is physically impossible.
Im with you on that, i literally cant get my head around it. The hissing is there still apparently after all. The only thing i can think of is if there is some sort of pressure in the waste system or something pushing the water up.

It would come up the plug hole ,not between the silver waste fitting and the bath.
Get a pic of below bath ,waste / overflow set up.

Very un-likely but could the water be dropping into the bath from above ? A leak above the ceiling.

Is the side of the bath against a tiled wall ?. Maybe there is a leak ( the hiss ) behind the tiles and water is running behind the tiles and onto the rim of the bath

It sounds like the flange of the bath waste is loose. She said shes just tried unscrewing it and more water came out so she screwed it back up.

How would a loose flange cause the water to flow upwards? Why would it cause the water to continuously flow? Doesnt make sense.

Very un-likely but could the water be dropping into the bath from above ? A leak above the ceiling.

Is the side of the bath against a tiled wall ?. Maybe there is a leak ( the hiss ) behind the tiles and water is running behind the tiles and onto the rim of the bath
Nah shes a top floor flat. The bath is against a tiled wall but all the pipework is underneath the bath.

Found it, the shower at the other other end of the bath is leaking . Its flowing under the bath mat and around the waste lol.

The hissing wasnt behind the taps after all lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back